Elderberry health benefits have been on the tip of everyone’s tongue for a reason. Loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, these berries can boost the immune system. Ease cold and flu symptoms, relieve inflammation, release stress, enjoy heart health, and more with elderberry syrup!
Are you an elderberry syrup supporter?
Although there is still research being done, supporters of the health benefits of elderberries say that this nutrient-dense berry is great for whatever ails you! There are approximately 30 varieties of elder plants and trees worldwide. The European version (also known as Sambucus Nigra) is the one most commonly used for health and healing. We can find history as far back as 400 BC with Hippocrates, the “father of medicine”.
5 Elderberry Health Benefits
- Combat Cold and Flu Symptoms – Antioxidant and antiviral properties help fight cold and flu symptoms. In one study, 60 people with flu-like symptoms took 15 ml of elderberry syrup four times per day. Their symptoms improved four days prior to the people who took a placebo. In another study, participants took lozenges containing 300 mg of elderberry extract and 150 mg of rice flour twice a day for 10 days before traveling. People who took the elderberry had less severe symptoms that lasted for a shorter time period.
- Digestive Health – Elderberries have a high fiber content which can help to eliminate constipation, reduce excess gas, and overall increase gastrointestinal health.
- Pain Relief – Anthocyanins are a type of flavonoid with antioxidant effects and elderberries are full of them. They are known to reduce inflammation caused as the response to injury or disease. Elderberries temper this response, therefore reducing the pain.
- Allergy Relief – Elderberry’s anti-inflammatory properties make it a great natural remedy for allergy symptoms. Inflammation of the sinuses, sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, swelling, and a runny nose can all be alleviated with this potent herb. It is thought to be particularly good for hay fever.
- Control Blood Pressure – Because elderberries are a diuretic, they can help your kidneys release excess water and salt through urine. With less fluid in your blood vessels, the pressure will become lower which makes it easier for your heart to pump.
We hope you find this information about the numerous Elderberry Health Benefits helpful. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Food Tips section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research and personal experience.