Make this heart-healthy Mediterranean Diet Salmon Salad in less than 15 minutes for a meal that’s packed with protein, flavor, and plenty of healthy nutrients that will satisfy your family’s hunger. This meal follows the widely-publicized Mediterranean Diet heart-healthy eating plan.
This recipe for Mediterranean Diet Salmon Salad is a heart-healthy meal that follows The Mediterranean Diet plan. This heart-healthy plan emphasizes that fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts, legumes, and olive oil be the foundation of every meal. People who follow this healthy-eating plan are encouraged to eat fish and seafood at least twice a week and moderately consume poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt while limiting consumption of meat and sweets.
Since salmon is a fish that’s high in protein, we love finding simple ways to incorporate it into our meals while following this plan. Canned salmon is a great way to help you get a healthy meal on the table and since this Mediterranean Diet Salmon Salad uses canned salmon and beans, along with fresh fruits and vegetables, it can be ready for a lettuce wrap, a leafy salad, or whole grain or spinach wrap in less than 15 minutes without heating up the kitchen. It’s one of our favorite summertime meals!
- For the Salmon Salad:
- 2 cans Pink Salmon
- 1 can organic tri-bean blend (or beans of choice)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp white or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil (We used avocado oil for this, but olive oil is better for this plan.)
- 1 small lime
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- For the Salad Bedding/Wrap (your choice of the following):
- A generous bed of spinach leaves, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, and other fruits and/or vegetables.
- Large whole grain or spinach wraps.
- Large lettuce leaves for boats.
- Place canned salmon in a large mixing bowl and break it up.
- Place the beans in the bowl.
- Chop the onion and garlic and place them in the bowl.
- Quarter the lime and squeeze the juice over the contents of the bowl.
- Add in all of the other wet ingredients and stir everything together to mix the flavors.
- Serve with avocado over a bed of spinach with vegetables and nuts, wrap in a whole grain or spinach wrap, or serve in a large lettuce bowl with other vegetables and fruits of choice.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Mediterranean Diet Salmon Salad as much as we do. If you love this heart-healthy meal, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!