This recipe for Santa Fe Turkey Sloppy Joes delivers a healthy, flavorful, 30-minute meal that the whole family will love! Top with creamy, sliced avocado for the ultimate sloppy joe.
I’m always on the lookout for a healthy 30-minute meal that’s going to be a hit with everyone in my house. Finding meals that my sons will eat isn’t always an easy task, unfortunately, but typically anything inside a hamburger bun will be a hit which makes these Santa Fe Turkey Sloppy Joes the perfect choice for dinner.
Sloppy joes are always fun…with a name like that, how can they not be? They’re especially fun when there are plenty of taco flavors going on, and add-ins like black beans, red and yellow bell peppers, and sweet corn. We’ve also got some fresh lime juice and cilantro to take these flavors all the way to Santa Fe. And the most important part? They’re nice and messy just the way we want our Sloppy Joes to be.
If you’re an avocado fan, you may be inclined to top your Sloppy Joe with a few creamy avocado slices. In fact, I highly recommend it. And if you like spice, by all means, up the ante on the cayenne pepper, or add some chopped jalapeño when you add the bell pepper. I happen to love spice, but since the rest of my family can’t take the heat, I kept it on the down low for this particular recipe.
One of the best parts of this meal — besides it being healthy and delicious — is that it’s done in under 30 minutes and it makes a big skillet full so you’ll even have leftovers to look forward to. That depends on the size of your family and whether people go back for seconds, of course, but either way, that’s a big bonus in my book. Another bonus for me is all of the gorgeous, eye-popping colors.
If you’re following a gluten-free or low carb diet, this filling would be amazing in a lettuce wrap as well — this meal has you covered. It really doesn’t matter how you serve it up, this meal is sure to satisfy any day of the week.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 - 1¼ lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into ½" pieces
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped into ½" pieces
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-15 oz can reduced sodium tomato sauce
- 1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro*
- Hamburger buns and sliced avocado, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, and salt and pepper, to taste, and break up the ground turkey with a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and corn, and sauté 2 minutes more. Add the tomato sauce and spices, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, then add the black beans.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, then remove from heat and add the lime juice and chopped cilantro. Stir to combine, and serve on the hamburger buns and top with the avocado slices. Enjoy!
I used both red and yellow bell pepper for flavor and color, but you can certainly use one whole red bell pepper instead.
*If you don't have chopped cilantro on hand, use 1 teaspoon of dried cilantro and add it with the other spices.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Santa Fe Turkey Sloppy Joes from SoFabFood Contributor, Marcie from Flavor the Moments, as much as we do. If you love this simple and delicious 30-minute meal, find more like it by visiting our 30-Minute Meals section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!