A comprehensive list of the top 5 foods to swear off in 2016. Number 2 is a real game changer! Steer clear of these foods and your waistline will thank you. Start looking more closely at food labels to be more assertive with your health goals.
Eating healthy does not have to be rocket science. We compiled a list of the top 5 foods to swear off in 2016 to help you meet your health goals this year!
- Processed Meats – Love buying meats from the deli? Don’t venture to that area of the store. Deli meats like ham, salami, and turkey can have up to 400% more sodium and 50% more preservatives than unprocessed meats you prepare yourself. If you are really craving a deli sandwich, be sure to ask for the meats with reduced sodium that are now available.
- Canned Soup – We all love how convenient soup is, and at an affordable price, it’s a convenient option for a quick lunch. But if you look at the nutrition label, you will see that most soups contain a large amount of sodium. Since canned soups are over processed, they lose a lot of their nutrients. If you’re looking for quick and convenient meal ideas, look at some of our favorite 30-Minute Meals to help you out.
- White Bread – Did you grow up eating Wonder Bread as a child? White bread is completely stripped of all of its nutrients making gaining weight inevitable if you eat it daily. Try this Grilled Shredded BBQ Chicken and Cheese Sandwich to swap out that white bread for a grown up treat.
- Bagels – Ditch the bagels in 2016. You’re basically getting a large amount of carbs that end in a bad spike in insulin and inflammation of the body because of their position on the Glycemic Index Guide.
- White Rice is stripped of its nutrients when processed. This is another bad white food that will make your blood sugar and insulin spike, which can lead to fat storage. If you love Mexican food and Chipotle® is one of your favorite restaurants, you’re going to love this recipe for Copycat Chipotle® Cilantro-Lime Brown Rice that ditches the white rice all together.
We hope you find this list of the top 5 foods to swear off in 2016 informative and helpful as you start the new year. For more informational posts like this, be sure to stop by our Food and Fitness section to help you out in your quest for a healthier, happier you!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research, doctor recommendations, and personal experience.