Grilled BBQ Chicken and Cheese Sandwich from Insanity Is Not An Option
April is National Grilled Cheese month and we love a good grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. Traditional grilled cheese sandwiches served with piping hot tomato soup were a childhood favorite that we still turn to when we are craving a comforting lunch. Sometimes, though, we crave something with a little bit of a more grownup taste that’s a little more hearty and we’ve started turning to this recipe for a low sodium Grilled BBQ Chicken and Cheese Sandwich when those cravings take over. We think you’re going to love this delicious and heart-healthy twist on one of our traditional lunchtime favorites.
- For the Low Sodium BBQ Sauce:
- 2 tbsp no salt butter
- 1 cup ketchup (Tip: 100% natural Hunt’s is actually lower than low sodium Heinz.)
- ½ cup beer (You can use non-alcoholic beer as well. This helps to break down the acids in the ketchup.)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 finely chopped small red sweet pepper
- 1 tbsp steak sauce
- For the Sandwich:
- ½ cup shredded chicken breast
- ¼ cup BBQ Sauce (you can use store-bought, but it raises the sodium content)
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese
- 1 slice colby jack cheese
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Gather your ingredients.
- Visit the original post on Insanity Is Not An Option for the recipe for Low Sodium BBQ Sauce or use a store-bought sauce if you aren't concerned with the sodium content.
- Mix shredded chicken and BBQ sauce together.
- Brush outer sides of both pieces of bread with avocado oil.
- In a frying pan, layer one slice of bread oil side down, then one slice of cheese, then shredded BBQ chicken, then the other slice of cheese, and finally the other slice of bread oil side up.
- Cook over medium-low heat on one side for about 5 minutes, flip and cook for 5 minutes on the other side.
Using Avocado Oil on the bread rather than butter reduces the sogginess and sodium, and makes even cooking easier to avoid burned or uncooked spots on your sandwich. We hope you love this recipe for Grilled Shredded BBQ Chicken and Cheese Sandwich as much as we do. If you enjoyed this healthy lunch idea, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!