Introducing your new favorite Taco Tuesday recipe…Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. This delicious cheap healthy meal is naturally gluten free. A simple, budget-friendly meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Hello, this is Heather from Kitchen Concoctions and I’m excited to share my recipe for Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with you today! Being from Texas, tacos are a dinner staple and a dish many of us eat a few times a week!
We eat not only a lot of tacos around these parts, but a lot of other favorite Tex-Mex dishes too. From Creamy 5-Ingredient Chicken Enchiladas and homemade charro beans, to making an entire meal out of homemade tortilla chips, queso, and my favorite guacamole recipe!
Make healthy swaps in your favorite Tex-Mex dishes!
While I absolutely love all these foods; some of these favorite dishes aren’t that healthy. So, instead of going without, I try to make easy, healthy swaps. Things like using fish or lean ground beef or turkey; no salt added or reduced sodium beans, canned tomatoes, and even making my own homemade taco seasoning, and oven baked tortilla chips!
Since we love tacos the most, it is the meal I am most constantly trying to change up. We love these fresh and healthy Mahi Mahi Tacos with Pineapple Mango Salsa. These Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are our favorite go-to healthy taco recipe though. They are not only healthy, swapping out the tortilla and rice for a nutrient-dense sweet potato, but this recipe is super budget friendly too!
Not only is this a cheap healthy dinner recipe, the spicy flavors in the ground meat mixture pair well with the naturally sweet flavors from the sweet potato, yielding a tasty and delicious twist for Taco Tuesday!
What is your favorite way to serve tacos? Please share in the comments below!
- 4 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp low sodium taco seasoning
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium beef broth or water
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- Cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Black beans
- Diced Roma tomatoes
- Diced avocados
- Sliced jalapeños
- Fresh cilantro or green onions
- Heat the oven to 400ºF and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Scrub and wash potatoes really well. Thoroughly dry potatoes with a paper towel and pierce several times all over with a fork.
- Brush potato all over with olive oil and then season generously with salt and black pepper. Place potatoes on prepared sheet pan and bake in preheated 400ºF oven for 45-60 minutes or until cooked through and tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and ground beef or turkey. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink, and onions are translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle seasonings over meat and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add beef broth, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- To serve, cut a slit into the top of each sweet potato and cut open. Fill with ground meat mixture and top with additional desired toppings!
Home Chef Tip: The sweet potatoes can be baked up to two days in advance. Once cooled, wrap in foil and place in a food storage container in the refrigerator. To reheat, microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
We hope you love these Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from SoFabFood Home Chef, Heather from Kitchen Concoctions, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Dinner Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!