Trying to curb holiday weight gain? You’ll love these Low-Carb Beef and Mushroom Meatballs as a weeknight dinner or party appetizer. Your favorite comfort food gets a skinny makeover!
Mushrooms meatballs? Lightened up comfort food!
With colder temperatures upon us, we’re craving all the comfort food, and meatballs are one of our favorites. As you may have already guessed, mushrooms are the secret ingredient. They add flavor and a ton of moisture! In fact, they add so much moisture, they replace half the oats and dairy. Combined with a little finely-ground oats, Parmesan, and ricotta, the result is a tender, incredibly moist, and flavorful meatball.
Make them now, freeze for later!
Once they’re done, you can gobble them up right away or freeze them for later making them perfect for meal prep for your weeknight meal. We like to make an extra batch to have on hand. They thaw super quick, and the ways to use them are endless. You can make meatball subs, sliced them up on pizza, break them up into soup, or just pop a couple in your mouth for a quick and easy low-carb snack!
If you’re on a low-carb diet, don’t worry about the small amount of oats. These work out to be approximately one carb each!
Hello lightened-up comfort food!
- 2 lb 85/15 grass-fed ground beef
- 1 8-oz container baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 large shallot
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats, ground
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large, room-temperature eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the mushrooms and shallot in a food processor and pulse until the mushrooms are the consistency of rice.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet and cook the mushroom mixture for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- While the mushroom mixture is cooking, add all the other ingredients to a large bowl.
- When the mushroom mixture is cool, add it to the meat mixture. Using your hands mix thoroughly.
- Using a medium-sized cookie scoop, form your meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 15-18 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160°F.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil!
Home Chef Tip: Make a double batch and store half of them in a zipper bag in the freezer. When you're ready to use them, heat them in the microwave until defrosted and warm.
We hope you enjoy these Low-Carb Beef and Mushroom Meatballs from SoFabFood Home Chef, Andrea from Saving Every Day, as much as we do. If you love this lightened-up recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Appetizer Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!