Unexpected guests on the way? You have the dips, you have the salsa, but you’re out of chips. Never fear! Learn how to easily make homemade tortilla chips with every day kitchen staples!
My name is Teri and I blog at Buy This Cook That; preparing and sharing delicious homemade recipes is what I love. Our favorite recipes are Southern classics with a twist. Learn this quick + easy method of making your own tortilla chips. Who knows? You might just like these better than the ones in the bag.
Never run out of tortilla chips again!
Nothing disappears faster in my home than tortilla chips and salsa. My kids literally inhale this classic snack-time food. Doesn’t it drive you crazy when you are in the mood for chips and salsa, but no one left you any chips? Or if you were sure there was a bag of chips in the pantry, but when you get ready to use them, they are gone? This happens to me all the time. Worry no more! When you get a craving, make tortilla chips at home instead with this handy kitchen hack.
How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips:
All it takes to make tortilla chips at home is soft tortilla shells (flour or corn), oil, and seasonings.
First, in a small bowl, stir together some oil (olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.), salt, garlic powder, and a couple shakes of your favorite hot sauce. Lightly brush both sides of the tortillas. Then stack them and cut into triangles with a knife or pizza cutter. I love using my pizza cutter for jobs like this. Makes it easier.
Layer the seasoned triangles in a single layer on a baking pan. Bake at 400ºF for about 10 – 11 minutes. You will want to turn your tortilla chips halfway through cooking so they are evenly browned and crispy.
How do you make tortilla chips?
Feel free to try your favorite combination of spices. These turn out light and crispy, perfect for eating with salsa and dips. You can also make these with corn tortillas for a more authentic taste.
You can also make your own tortilla chips by frying. Just cut soft tortillas into triangles and fry in hot oil for just a minute or two. Watch them, they cook very fast. Turn to brown evenly, and drain on newspapers or brown bags to keep them crisp. Sprinkle with salt and seasonings while hot and enjoy.
An easy, affordable dippable appetizer!
Making your own tortilla chips is so easy and the results are yummy. That’s my kind of kitchen hack.
- Soft Tortilla shells, flour or corn
- Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Stir together 1/4 cup of oil, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp seasonings in a small bowl. Lightly brush both sides of the tortilla with the oil mixture.
- Stack the tortillas and cut into triangles using a pizza cutter. Place the triangle pieces in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 10 - 11 minutes, turning halfway during baking. Cooking times will vary based on your oven. Watch the tortilla chips carefully while cooking to prevent burnings.
- Cut the plain soft tortillas into triangle pieces. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet to medium high. When the oil is hot, quickly fry the tortilla pieces, turning to brown both sides. They will cook very quickly, in 1 - 2 minutes. Watch carefully.
- Transfer chips to drain on layers of newspaper or brown paper bags. Sprinkle with salt and seasonings.
Home Chef Tip 1 - Do not drain on paper towels. The tortilla chips may get soggy that way.
Home Chef Tip 2 - Try corn tortillas for a more authentic corn chip taste.
Home Chef Tip 3 - Cut into strips instead of triangles for a unique and crunchy salad topping.
Home Chef Tip 4 - Make sure your frying oil is HOT.
We hope this Kitchen Hack from SoFabFood Home Chef, Teri from Buy This Cook That, helpful! For more informational posts like this, be sure to stop by our Kitchen Hacks section to help you save time and money in the kitchen. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!