These Creamy 5-Ingredient Chicken Enchiladas are easy to whip up with shredded, leftover chicken, and they freeze well for a simple make-ahead dinner that’s guaranteed to be a hit for a quick weeknight meal.
5-Ingredient Meals are Perfect for Busy Weeknights!
I’m all about easy dinners because they are literally all I’m willing to make, which is why 5-ingredient recipes are my saving grace. As a busy woman only cooking for two, I’m not usually willing to make anything that takes a lot of prep time. Plus, I’ve always been a picky eater, but when I realized I loved enchiladas, I started making them all the time. Now, I would eat these simple 5-Ingredient Chicken Enchiladas every day if I could! It would probably not be good for my health…but it would be worth it. The simple combination of chicken, cheese, and cream cheese makes these enchiladas incredibly creamy!
I prefer to use green chile enchilada sauce, but you can certainly swap it for red if you want a different flavor. I’ve also tried enchiladas with corn tortillas and they’re delicious, but because I usually always have flour in the house, they tend to be my first-choice for making enchiladas. Topped with a Mexican blend of cheese, they’re so easy to make that you’ll want to keep the ingredients on-hand at all times. I’m not really the type to freshly grate cheese or buy fresh herbs because, honestly, I feel like they go to waste in my house when I’m too busy to cook with them. I’m sure I’m not the only one though! Just grab a bag of pre-shredded cheese and no one will judge you.
A make-ahead dinner that makes weeknights easy!
I’ve been making a lot of freezer meals lately to prep for busier weeks, and this creamy chicken enchilada dish is the perfect freezer meal! Simply assemble them in a foil baking dish and cover tightly with foil. You can freeze them for up to three months and they’ll bake perfectly, just as if you made them the same day. I often assemble them in the morning, then pop them in the fridge until I’m ready to cook dinner. This way, I know I’ll make them and won’t talk myself into eating a box of mac and cheese instead.
Alongside a helping of rice or beans, these super simple, super creamy chicken enchiladas are the perfect easy weeknight dinner with only five ingredients to worry about!
- 8 flour tortillas, regular sized
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- 1 cup Mexican mix cheese + more for topping
- 1 10-oz can green enchilada sauce
- Salt + pepper to taste, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, chicken, cheese, salt, and pepper and mix with a fork or your hands until well-combined.
- Spread about 1/3 of the can of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 inch casserole dish.
- Place the chicken filling into the middle of the tortillas and roll tightly. Then place side by side in the prepared casserole dish.
- If cooking immediately, top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with a handful of cheese.
- If saving for later, cover and refrigerate. Add the sauce and cheese when ready to bake.
- Bake the enchiladas uncovered for about 25-30 minutes until the cheese on the top has melted
- For easier serving, use a spatula to cut the enchiladas in half and serve with rice and/or beans
Home Chef Tip: For more heat, add chopped green chiles inside of the enchiladas!
We hope you enjoy these Creamy 5-Ingredient Chicken Enchiladas from SoFabFood Home Chef, Holly from Club Crafted, as much as we do. If you love this easy dinner idea, you can find more like it by visiting our Chicken Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!