This Indian-Style Vegan Spinach Lentil Curry is delicious comfort food perfect for a weeknight meal. This vegetarian dinner is a cheap healthy meal ready in 30 minutes.
When you are craving some comfort food, this Indian-Style Vegan Spinach Lentil Curry recipe served with steamed rice is perfect! This curry is vegan, packed with protein, takes under 30 minutes to make, and is super delicious.
Indians consume a lot of lentils. Each region of the country has a lot of recipes using them in different ways. This recipe is one of the more commonly-made curries in many parts of the country. The ingredients include spinach and moong dal; one high in vitamins and the other packed with protein. With the added spices, this dish is super flavorful, healthy, and very budget friendly.
I remember how my grandmother made this Spinach Lentil Curry and served it with hot steamed rice and a dash of ghee (clarified butter). Now when I make it, I leave out the ghee and make it vegan. I sometimes serve it with roti because it’s the perfect compliment to curry dishes.
Lentils are rich in proteins, vitamins, and other essential nutrients. They make great dishes when combined with various vegetables or meats.
Though lentil is a broad class, most of them have high nutritional value, making them a staple in many parts of Asia. Lentils are available in different colors, sizes, and can be prepared in multiple ways.
Greens are super healthy and contain everything that is good for you. There are scores of people who dislike spinach, but if prepared in a way that its native taste gets masked, it is a great source of vitamins and other nutrients.
How do you make this cheap healthy meal?
Let’s dive into the method to make this spinach lentil curry. I like to cook the dal and chop the vegetables and get everything ready side by side. Cook the vegetables while the dal cooks and you have bowls full of comfort food in no time.
I used Moong Dal and spinach in this curry. You can make the same curry using a different combination of lentil and greens too. Anything from red lentils to yellow peas work great in this recipe. As for the greens, opt for spinach, kale, or swiss chard. They all make the curry delicious. The recipe below is moderately spiced. Adjust the chili based on how spicy you like your curry.
I generally make extra curry for dinner and pack the leftover with roti for the next day. It thickens a little when stored, but tastes just as great the next day and it saves me the effort of making lunch. When you are craving some comfort food, but need dinner on the table in about 30 minutes, this Indian-Style Vegan Spinach Lentil Curry is a great recipe to turn to.
- 1 cup Moong Dal / Petite Yellow Lentil
- 1 bunch Spinach Leaves (about 3 cups), roughly chopped
- 1" piece Ginger, grated
- 1/2 medium Onion, diced
- 1 medium Tomato, diced
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Cilantro to top
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Dried Red Chili Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2-3 pods Garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Wash and add the Moong Dal with a pinch of salt and 3/4 cup water in a pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 8-9 minutes on medium flame.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and set the dal aside.
- In a pan heat oil and add onion and ginger. Sauté until the onions are cooked and turn translucent.
- Add tomato and cook until soft.
- Wash and add the chopped spinach. Sauté on medium flame until the spinach wilts.
- Add the cooked Moong Dal and mix well. Season with turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix and cook for 6-7 minutes, until it starts to boil. Boil for a minute and turn the flame down.
- Add cilantro and lime juice, mix well.
- To prepare the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once they pop, add the curry leaves and dried red chili.
- In a few seconds, add red chili powder and garlic. Once the raw flavor of garlic vanishes, add the tempering to the curry. Mix well.
- Serve with steamed rice, papad, and salad.
Home Chef Tip: Make a big batch. The leftovers heat up well for lunch the next day!
We hope you love this Indian-Style Vegan Spinach Lentil Curry recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Smruti from Herbivore Cucina, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to visit our Vegetarian Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!