Perfect for weekly meal prep when you’re planning easy weeknight dinners, these Chorizo Taco Rice Bowls are a cheap healthy meal packed with protein and veggies. A 30-minute meal you can make in big batches and enjoy all week long!
My name is Raquel Lynn and I share some of my favorite recipes on Horses & Heels. I love food and believe anyone can cook amazing meals at home! This simple Chorizo Taco Rice Bowl is a recipe I put on repeat weekly for my family. Taco rice bowls are delicious and nutritious. This is a meal you can prepare at home without sacrificing taste. Quick and easy taco rice bowls can be assembled in minutes once the prep work is done. A vast amount of flavor combinations means that these tasty bowls will never bore your taste buds.
The Perfect Weekly Meal Prep Plan
Start by cooking your rice ahead of time. Brown rice is healthy, but generally takes longer to cook. Make a big batch you can use for multiple rice bowls and other meals throughout the week.
Season and cook your protein. Chorizo tastes better the next time you heat it up (the ends get crispy and delicious) and it doesn’t dry out.
Get your beans ready! Slow cook and season them or remove them from the can, drain, season, and store in air-tight containers.
Think about the vegetables. Most vegetables can be chopped ahead saving you time and hassle. Dice up red onions, tomatoes, and chop your cilantro. Corn is another awesome add-in. Opt for frozen corn or blacken it in a skillet ahead of time.
Make sure you have plenty of salsa, Sriracha, and dressing on hand to go with these bowls. A handful of tortilla chips adds crunch and texture to these taco rice bowls. Anyone can assemble this bowl so it’s a fun meal to eat with the family.
- 2 cups dry brown rice
- 2 cups dry black beans or 2 15-oz cans black beans
- 1 lb chorizo or protein of your choice
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 ear of fresh corn
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado
- tortilla chips
- Sriracha or dressing of your choice
- Prepare the rice according to your package directions (it should take about 30 minutes). Refrigerate and leave it in the original pot for easy re-heating.
- Cook the beans overnight or for 12 hours in a slow cooker with 4 cups of water. Drain, season, and refrigerate. To speed things up, remove beans from the can, drain, season, and refrigerate.
- Cook the chorizo in a skillet and place contents into a container. Use the fat from the chorizo to cook the corn. Give it a nice char and pack it into the fridge.
- Place tomatoes, onion, and cilantro in containers and refrigerate.
- Now your prep work is done!
- To enjoy a bowl - remove all ingredient from the fridge. Heat rice, beans, and chorizo if desired.
- Layer a bowl with rice and add scoops of beans, chorizo, corn, onion, tomato, and cilantro.
- Slice an avocado and garnish the bowl.
- Drizzle over dressing or Sriracha and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: These bowls can be enjoyed hot or cold. You may swap out ingredients and get creative!
The next time you feel a busy week coming on, consider doing some prep work so you can enjoy delicious taco rice bowls in minutes at home. These are perfect for lunch or dinner – hot or cold.
We hope you enjoy these Chorizo Taco Rice Bowls from SoFabFood Home Chef, Raquel from Horses and Heels, as much as we do. If you love this easy weeknight dinner, you can find more like it by visiting our 30-Minute Meals Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!