Light and crispy, these Shrimp Tacos with red cabbage slaw and a homemade avocado cilantro sauce are a cheap healthy meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner, summer entertaining, or a date night in.
Light and crispy shrimp tacos with red cabbage slaw – these will be perfect for your next summer party, backyard gathering, or for an easy weeknight meal. This dish is home cooking at its best. Homemade taco seasoning and a creamy homemade avocado cilantro sauce that adds an extra element of creaminess to the subtle spiciness of the shrimp. A quick and delicious meal that is cost effective and with ingredients that are easy to find! What more could you want?
Taco perfection in less than 30 minutes!
It’s time to admit it, I freaking love tacos and really, anything Mexican inspired! I was lucky enough to travel to Mexico a few years back and absolutely fell in love with the food. While I love all Mexican food, tacos hold a special place in my heart!
As well as tacos, I also love seafood, and fish tacos are another favorite of mine. There is just something about them that makes them feel so fresh and healthy! I especially love seafood and fish in the summer months when the weather gets hotter.
These shrimp tacos with slaw are my new-found favorite dish for the summer. Not only are they ridiculously easy to make, but also so affordable and delicious. Nothing beats homemade, especially when it comes to making your own taco seasoning and creamy avocado cilantro sauce!
These shrimp tacos with slaw have the best of everything – a touch of spice, a little bit of crunch, a creaminess, and an overall fresh taste that leaves you feeling good about yourself! These would be absolutely perfect for summer entertaining, weekend parties, or just when you’re in the mood for a darn good weeknight dinner!
Shrimp Taco Recipe Tips:
- The shrimp – I love cooking with shrimp and find it super cost effective. For this recipe, I bought 12 medium-sized shrimp (all for under $3!). You’ll need to remove the tails and shell, and then very carefully slice them lengthways along their back. I found that keeping them whole made for a bulkier taco, plus you reduce cooking time if they’re sliced lengthways.
- The taco seasoning – this is a very simple combination of various spices mixed together. It’s my go-to taco seasoning and the subtle spiciness really pairs well with the fresh vegetables and avocado cream.
- The vegetables – I opted for a slaw-style approach to these shrimp tacos, using fresh cabbage and finely sliced radishes. I love the freshness they have when you combine it with the cooked shrimp.
- The avocado cream – this is such a simple recipe, and really adds another element of texture and flavor to the tacos. If you want a thinner sauce, I recommend adding more water, and if you’re in the mood for a thicker sauce, less water is a better option. I don’t recommend adding lime to the avocado cream as it makes the avocado bitter. It is much better squeezing a little lime juice over the entire taco when serving.
Aside from that, there is really not much to this recipe apart from making darn delicious shrimp tacos with slaw! Happy summer and happy taco eating!
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp natural, plain yogurt
- 5-7 tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 medium size shrimp, tails and shell removed, and sliced in half lengthways
- 6 corn tortillas
- 3 radishes, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup red cabbage, finely sliced
- Cilantro for serving
- Cojita cheese for serving
- 6 lime wedges for serving
- Combine the taco seasoning ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add shrimp and toss until all the shrimp is coated in the taco sauce.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Combine the avocado, yogurt, cilantro, salt and pepper, and water in a high-processed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- For a thicker sauce, add around 5 tbsp of water, for a thinner sauce, add closer to 7 tbsp of water.
- Taste test and adjust flavor as desired.
- Heat a skillet over high heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cook shrimp for around 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally until shrimp are cooked through.
- While the shrimp is cooking, heat your tortillas (optional).
- To heat tortillas - heat another skillet over high heat, and add one corn tortilla at a time, flipping after 1-2 minutes, or until lightly charred.
- Take a tortilla and add cabbage and radish.
- Top with the shrimp, a good dollop of the avocado cream sauce, and sprinkle with a little bit of cojita cheese and cilantro.
- Serve with a lime wedge.
Home Chef Tip: Heating and charring the tortillas is completely optional. It adds a nice flavor to the dish. Feel free to also use flour tortillas.
We hope you enjoy these Shrimp Tacos with Slaw from SoFabFood Home Chef, Georgina from The Home Cook’s Kitchen, as much as we do. If you love this simple and delicious recipe, you can find more by visiting our 30-Minute Meals Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!