Make date night at home extra special with this simple, yet gourmet Leek + Prosciutto Galette for Two. Perfect for sharing with the one you love, and ready in about 30 minutes!
Love is in the air and while chocolate adorns the shelves of all the grocery stores, I headed straight for the fancy meats and the idea for my Valentine’s Day dinner materialized. Almost pizza-esque in its conception, this galette combines my favorite green root vegetable, leeks, with my new found love for prosciutto which has now replaced my love for bacon.
Plated on one of my very favorite antique store plates, this recipe has the makings for the perfect date night course (one of many, obviously).
Gourmet Leek + Prosciutto Galette for Date Night
I haven’t encountered many savory galettes in my travels abroad, but I’ve found myself drawn to combinations of vegetables and thinly sliced meats. Keep reading for some other fantastic combinations for savory galettes.
A swirl of spicy tomato sauce, a smattering of freshly grated Parmesan, and a dash of dried oregano. Just like that, half your filling is ready.
Prosciutto is a thinly sliced Italian ham, and you’ll generally see it on charcuterie boards with cheese and crackers, but it’s also better than bacon when cooked. Does anyone disagree?!
I wove the prosciutto over and under the strips of leeks to keep everything in place – and it worked beautifully, and each strip of prosciutto crisped up without curling into one corner of the tart. My goal was to have a taste of every part of the galette in one bite. The crunchiness of the puff pastry, the sharpness of the parmesan, the saltiness of the sauce, and of course, the flavors of leek and prosciutto together.
Other Savory Galette Fillings to Try for Date Night:
- Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Thyme (Recipe for this is available in my newly published cookbook!)
- Roasted Red Peppers, Black Olives, Whipped Feta Cheese
- Oven Roasted Chicken Breast, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Cream Cheese
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- Flour, to roll out (prevents sticking)
- 1/4 cup spicy tomato sauce (regular tomato sauce with 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper mixed in)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 stalks of leeks, sliced into thin strips
- 3 thin slices of prosciutto, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Thaw one sheet of puff pastry completely, and knead with your hands into a ball. Use a floured rolling pin to roll out into a large 1/8 inch thick circle on a sheet of parchment paper. Transfer to a large baking sheet.
- Spoon the tomato sauce into the center leaving an inch of puff pastry uncovered by the sauce. Sprinkle the parmesan on top.
- Lay strips of leeks vertically 1/4 of an inch apart from each other. Weave prosciutto under and over the leeks carefully.
- Brush the top of the entire galette with oil. Fold the border of the puff pastry in towards the filling as shown in the photographs.
- Brush the edges with egg wash. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Follow the base recipe using your personal favorite toppings instead of leeks and prosciutto for an entirely different flavor sensation!
We hope you love this Leek + Prosciutto Galette for Two recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Ritika from R&M Cooks, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to stop by our Dinner Section to find more ideas for your Valentine’s Day meal. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!