This Creamy Herb Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken is a 30-minute meal that’s fancy enough for a date night dinner, but simple enough for a weeknight meal. A budget-friendly meal that’s a restaurant-quality dinner!
If you are looking for a recipe and are ready to get your diet and budget back on track, I’ve got you covered. This Creamy Herb Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken can cost just around $10 to make for four servings. You will feel like you’ve stepped into an Italian kitchen when you make this deliciously, amazing meal.
If you have 30 minutes and $10, you can make this meal!
If you’re living on a budget, but you crave restaurant-quality meals, you can recreate this one-pan Herb Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken at home. This dish is amazing served on top of pasta. However, you could try it on top of rice, quinoa, or served alongside roasted vegetables. No matter which way you serve it up, it’s D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S.
So good the kids may ask where you ordered this dish from.
The great thing about stuffing chicken with cheese is that the kids will be so amazed that they may even forget about that green stuff (spinach) in the sauce. If you have kids that aren’t huge greens fans, we recommend chopping the spinach up instead of leaving it whole. We’ve found that a lot of kids aren’t fans of whole cooked spinach, but will eat it chopped up.
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- Thyme Lemon Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp each: onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried rosemary, dried oregano, dried basil
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 equal slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sweet onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp each: dried rosemary, dried basil, dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Season chicken with lemon thyme salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried rosemary, dried oregano, and dried basil.
- Evenly distribute herb mixture across the chicken, seasoning both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on one side of each chicken breast.
- Using toothpicks, fold chicken in half and secure shut with the toothpicks.
- Heat a large skillet with 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook chicken 3 minutes or until it turns easily without sticking (may wait up to 5 minutes).
- Flip and cook another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle any remaining olive oil on top of the chicken.
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until an internal temperature of 165ºF is reached.
- During the last 10 minutes before the chicken is finished, heat butter in the same skillet on medium heat, using a wooden spoon to scrape up drippings.
- Add onions and garlic and cook 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add 1 cup heavy cream, chicken broth, parsley, dried rosemary, dried basil, and dried oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream, parmesan cheese, spinach, and basil.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or until the spinach has completely wilted.
- Remove chicken from oven and add back to the pan of sauce.
- Heat through, spooning sauce over chicken.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Home Chef Tip: Make sure you count the number of toothpicks you use so you don't forget one!
Looking for another delicious meal on a budget? Try our Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken!
We hope you enjoy this Creamy Herb Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Andrew from We’re Parents, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meals Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!