Learn how to easily make these Heart Healthy Shredded Beef Burritos with leftover slow cooker roast beef, spicy tortillas, and a few pantry staples. Satisfying and delicious, these burritos are packed with protein and vegetables and they can be ready in less than an hour!
We love this recipe for Heart Healthy Shredded Beef Burritos with Black Beans for its simplicity, versatility, and the amazing flavor combination it provides at dinnertime. You know that leftover roast you have in your refrigerator that you cooked in the slow cooker earlier this week? Take that, shred it up, add in a few pantry staples, wrap it all up in a spicy flour tortilla, and repurpose those leftovers into a Mexican fiesta that the whole family will love!
Heart Healthy Shredded Beef Burritos with Black Beans
The beauty of this recipe, other than the fact that it is heart healthy, packed with protein, and simple, is that you can use whatever leftover meat you happen to have on hand from earlier in the week, as well as whatever type of beans and sauce you happen to have in your pantry. Don’t have leftover roast? Shred up that leftover chicken breast. Have some brisket left over from the weekend? Use that and pair it with pinto beans. The possibilities are literally endless with this simple recipe!
There really are no “rules” for this recipe other than the fact that you do need to use spices and beans with a low sodium content. If you aren’t concerned with your sodium intake, the recipe gets even more versatile because you can just use a jar of salsa for the sauce! Any way you look at it, this recipe is sure to deliver a fiery dish that’s a sure-fire hit at the dinner table!
- 1-2 lb shredded beef (we used leftover roast beef that was cooked in the slow cooker seasoned with Mrs. Dash seasonings)
- 1 16-oz can no salt added black beans, drained
- 1 10-oz can No Salt Added Ro*tel®, drained
- 1 can enchinada sauce or low-sodium salsa
- 6 jalapeño cheddar flour tortillas (large)
- 1 + 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- Avocados, jalapeños, tomatoes for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Shred your leftover beef and add to a large bowl.
- Add beans and Ro*tel® to the bowl, then add 1 cup shredded cheese, and stir lightly to combine all.
- Lay your tortillas out flat and place mixture down the center of the tortillas in about a 2" strip, leaving enough room at the ends to fold.
- Fold one end in over the mixture, roll vertically, then tuck in the other end and place in a greased baking dish. Continue until all burritos are made.
- Top with enchilada sauce and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375ºF for 30 minutes or until cheese is slightly golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with avocado chunks, tomato chunks, and jalapeños, optional.
- Enjoy immediately or reheat leftovers the next day!
Home Chef Tip: Follow this same recipe using whatever leftover meat you might have in your refrigerator like pork, brisket, or chicken. You can also use whatever canned beans you may have in the pantry to change up the flavor and avoid a trip to the grocery store!
We hope you love this recipe for Heart Healthy Shredded Beef Burritos with Black Beans as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to visit our Low Sodium section for more recipes like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!