These easy 30-Minute Chipotle Chicken Empanadas are a recipe you need in your arsenal. A 30-minute meal perfect for a weeknight dinner, potlucks, or a hearty appetizer when entertaining friends.
This recipe for Chipotle Chicken Empanadas makes for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. I love that empanadas are so versatile. Not only can you fill them with basically anything you like, but they are mess free, easy to store, and easy to transport.
Meal prep is simple with empanadas!
Empanadas are a staple at our home. I like making a big batch of them and we use them throughout the week to take to the office, put them in lunch boxes, or take them for a weekend road trip or picnic.
Empanadas are very popular in most Latin American countries and are thought to have originated in Spain. Each country and each cook makes empanadas a little differently. Some are fried, others are baked, and there are infinite ways to make the dough from soft to flaky. I make my empanadas inspired by Chilean empanadas, which are baked, versus the more popular Cuban empanadas which are usually fried. Baking your empanadas not only makes them healthier, but it’s also a cleaner and easier process.
For these empanadas, I chose a simple chipotle chicken filling. I love the smoky and spicy flavor of chipotle and this chipotle recipe is very easy to make. You can make a double or triple recipe of the chicken and use the rest of the chipotle chicken for tacos and enchiladas later in the week.
Are Chipotle Chicken Empanadas hard to make?
To make this a quick and easy recipe that can be done in less than 30 minutes, I am using frozen empanada discs, rotisserie chicken, and store-bought salsa. You can find frozen empanada discs in the frozen section of your grocery store or at Latino markets. Be sure to buy empanada discs for baking, as there are also frozen empanada discs for frying and those won’t come out as flaky if you bake them.
- 2 cups of rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp of salsa
- 2 tbsp chipotle adobo sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- empanada discs
- 1 egg + 2 tbsp water for egg wash
- 1 hass avocado, mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add one teaspoon of oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- In a bowl, mix the onion and garlic with the shredded chicken, salsa, chipotle adobo sauce, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
- Return mixture to the skillet and cook for a few minutes. If it gets too dry, add water until you get the right consistency.
- Remove chicken mixture from heat and let cool.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Place empanada discs on waxed paper. Put two tablespoons of chipotle chicken in the center of the empanada.
- Using a brush, moisten the edges of the empanada discs with water.
- Fold the empanada discs and bring the edges together sealing them by pressing down on them with a fork.
- Beat the egg and water together.
- Glaze the tops of the empanadas with egg wash.
- Place the empanadas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until golden, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack.
- To make the avocado cilantro dip, combine all the ingredients until smooth.
- Serve the empanadas warm, accompanied by the avocado cilantro dip.
Home Chef Tip: If you want a milder, kid-friendly version, you can reduce the amount of chipotle and increase the amount of salsa.
As the empanadas are baking, the kitchen fills with a delicious smell of smoky and flavorful chipotle chicken that will have your mouth watering.
Don’t forget the Avocado Cilantro Dip!
I like to serve these empanadas with an avocado and cilantro dip. The creamy and fresh avocado dip balances the spicy flavor of the chipotle and the combination of flavors is heavenly!
For a different version of these empanadas, you can add cheese. I like to make them with Oaxaca cheese (Mexican melting cheese), but any melting cheese will work.
Empanadas are the ideal recipe for entertaining. They work well as an appetizer or as a main dish and are great for bringing to a pot luck, for tailgaiting, or on a road trip or picnic.
We hope you enjoy these 30-Minute Chipotle Chicken Empanadas from SoFabFood Home Chef, Paula from Growing Up Bilingual. If you love this simple and flavorful recipe, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meals Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!