You can enjoy all the flavors of the southwest without the guilt when you feast on this Low Fat Tex-Mex Lasagna recipe full of fresh vegetables, fiber-rich beans, and flavorful spices.
Tex-Mex recipes are always crowd pleasers, however, they are often loaded with a lot of cheese and fatty ingredients. For this healthier classic, I’m using a lot of vegetables and fiber-rich beans for great taste with less saturated fat and calories. This Low Fat Tex-Mex Lasagna recipe is a colorful, hearty meal that can be enjoyed guilt free. What makes this casserole healthy is that it’s loaded with the goodness of vegetables and budget-friendly black beans, plus it’s super light on cheese and made with whole wheat tortillas. We love that this casserole is a pretty straight-forward recipe made with easily-available ingredients. It is no fuss to make at all! It can be prepared ahead of time and makes a perfect party food for potlucks or tailgating.
Low Fat Tex-Mex Lasagna Recipe
This Low Fat Tex-Mex Lasagna recipe bursts with the flavors of Mexican spices. The spices bring together the black beans, bell peppers, corn kernels, onions, and cilantro. We also mix in our 10-Minute Enchilada Sauce (V+GF). Whip up your favorite guacamole and salsa on the side for a real Mexican fiesta!
Best of all you can customize this Tex-Mex recipe in so many different ways. Don’t have tortillas handy? Replace them with rice or quinoa or even some crunchy tacos. No time to make your enchilada sauce? Feel free to use a store-bought sauce instead. Although our version is kid-friendly, if you like it hot and spicy, add in some jalapeños. Want to make it dairy free? Use a vegan cheese. If you want to balance out the spices, add avocados and pineapples for a little sweetness.
So, let’s get started and make this easy-peasy Low Fat Tex-Mex Lasagna recipe.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans (boiled or canned)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, crushed
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cup 10 Minute Enchilada Sauce
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven at 375°F.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet.
- Add in the garlic and onions, and cook until slightly brown.
- Mix in the the beans, bell peppers, and corn. Cook until slightly tender.
- Season the vegetable mixture with pepper, cumin, and red chili powder. Sprinkle in the cilantro and salt to taste.
- Pour the 10 Minute Enchilada Sauce into the vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Grease a baking dish with the remaining oil. I used 6-inch personal pots and I could make 2 pots with the above recipe.
- Spread a layer of whole wheat tortilla in your baking dish or pot. If the tortillas are too big, cut them into 4 quarters. Place them in the dish, covering the bottom completely.
- Take a couple of scoops of the vegetable mixture and spread it evenly on the tortilla. Alternate layers of tortilla and the vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese on top.
- Bake the dish for 15-20 minutes at 375°F.
Home Chef Tip: This entire recipe can even be made on the stove top using a single skillet. First cook the vegetables in the skillet. Then use the same skillet and alternately layer the tortillas and vegetable mixture. Cook it for about 10 minutes on low to medium heat.
We hope you enjoy this delicious Low Fat Tex-Mex Lasagna recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Anvita from The Belly Rules The Mind, as much as we do. If you love this healthier classic, you can find more like it by checking out our other Tex-Mex recipes. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!