Repurpose that leftover turkey and give it new life when you make these Heart Healthy Leftover Turkey Burritos. Full of bold flavors and low in sodium, this is one leftover meal they’ll gobble down quickly!
Heart Healthy Leftover Turkey Burritos Recipe
Tired of turkey sandwiches, traditional noodle soups, and other boring leftover turkey recipes this holiday season? Give that leftover turkey a spicy makeover when you serve up these delicious Heart Healthy Leftover Turkey Burritos for dinner. This simple recipe uses leftover turkey, some pantry staples, and it couldn’t be simpler to put together. Ready in about 30 minutes, you and your family will love this dish. You can even serve these up with that leftover corn you thought you were going to have to throw away. Versatile and full of protein and amazing flavors, this will be your new favorite Thanksgiving leftover go-to recipe!
Using a low sodium tortilla, like Toufayan Bakeries’ Low Carb/Low Sodium Wraps, or opting for corn tortillas, is the key to this recipe’s success. Also key is steering away from store-bought sauces which isn’t necessary at all when you can make your own taco sauce in minutes! If you follow the recipe below exactly, this dish comes in at around 460 mg of sodium while traditional recipes for chicken or turkey burritos with rice and beans average at around 2000 mg. All of the flavor without all of the salt, and a delicious meal your family will love using those holiday leftovers you certainly don’t want to throw away!
- 4 Toufayan Bakeries Low Carb/Low Sodium Wraps
- 2 cups cooked leftover turkey breast, shredded
- 1 cup Bush's® Reduced Sodium Pinto Beans, drained
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1-4.5 oz can Old El Paso™ Green Chiles
- 2 cups low sodium taco sauce (recipe below)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 15 oz can of no salt added tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional for heat
- Combine all ingredients to sauce consistency. Set aside.
- To make the burritos:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Shred your leftover turkey.
- Add turkey, rice, drained pinto beans, 1 cup of sauce, and green chiles, and combine to make your burrito filling.
- Lay the tortillas out on a flat surface, fill with 1 cup of the chicken mixture, and burrito roll to close, then place in a baking dish.
- Repeat until you've made the four burritos.
- Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
Home Chef Tip: Don't have leftover turkey? Use ham, brisket, or chicken leftovers instead following the same recipe!
We hope you love this simple recipe for Heart Healthy Leftover Turkey Burritos as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meals section for more easy weeknight meal ideas and more ideas for using up those holiday leftovers. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!