Weekly meal prep is key to avoiding sabotaging healthy eating goals. These Beef Burrito Bowls are perfect for Keto meal prep. With under 20 minutes of hands-on time, these hearty lunch bowls offer tons of vegetables, healthy fats, and cheap eats for the week!
If you’re like me, then you know one of the easiest ways to sabotage healthy eating goals is to decide on meals while hungry! I almost never make a good choice when I’m starving so I’ve learned that sticking to Keto requires a solid plan. These Keto Burrito Bowls are one of my favorite ways to prepare for a busy week. With under 20 minutes of hands-on time, these meal prep lunches offer tons of vegetables, healthy fats, and cheap eats for a week!
What’s in Keto Beef Burrito Bowls?
These Keto Beef Burrito Bowls are similar to the ones you might pick up from your favorite Mexican food chain. They include slow-cooked meat, the Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice that I used in my Keto Margarita Lime Shrimp Bowl, and an assortment of toppings.
What kind of toppings can you use?
One of the great things about Burrito Bowls is that they’re buildable and customizable to your personal taste. You can add as many toppings as you wish. To mix things up, you can also use different toppings on each bowl. Some toppings that would be perfect for Keto Burrito Bowls are:
- Sliced Avocado or Guacamole
- Salsa (no sugar added)
- Sour Cream (full fat)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sautéed Vegetables (I love onions and peppers!)
Quick Keto Burrito Bowl Storage Tip:
When plating these, be sure to separate your cold toppings like salsa and guacamole, from the rest of the dish. I prefer to add the cold toppings to small sauce and dressing containers. This way, when I’m reheating the meal I don’t end up with, say, warm guacamole!
What are you using for the main protein?
In this recipe, I’m using a beef bottom round roast because that was on sale at my local market. However, you can feel free to substitute a boneless, skinless pork roast or beef chuck roast.
Roasts are perfect for slow-cooking because the long and slow process turns relatively inexpensive cuts of meat into incredibly tender proteins. I also love that they’re fool-proof. For the most part, they taste better and better the longer that they cook.
If you’re not into pork or beef, or perhaps you’re in a hurry, you can substitute the roast in this recipe for quick proteins, such as this 4-Spice Chicken Breast, your favorite fish, or even shrimp.
Want some time-saving tips for Keto Meal Prep?
If you’re interested in making this recipe, but want some time-saving short cuts, here are a few:
- Use an Instant Pot in place of a slow cooker for the roast.
- Buy your vegetables from the market already sliced, chopped, and prepped.
- Buy salsa and guacamole from the deli section in your market (most markets make this fresh daily).
- 4 lb beef bottom round roast
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 orange, cut into quarters
- 3 jalapeños (optional)
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bag of cauliflower rice (~3 cups)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- Add the roast to the slow cooker.
- Mix the next 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Then sprinkle it over the roast in the slow cooker.
- Squeeze the orange juice quarters over the roast and place each inside the slow cooker. The orange quarters will cook with the roast.
- Add the chopped vegetables, butter, and broth to the slow cooker as well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- For the cauliflower rice: Heat a skillet to medium-high heat.
- Sauté the garlic cloves for 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the pan and sauté until the "rice" is slightly browned and your desired texture is achieved (~5 minutes).
- Add cilantro, sea salt, and lime juice, then use a spoon or silicone spatula to incorporate.
- Turn the heat off of the pan with the cauliflower rice and keep warm.
- Divide the cauliflower rice and meat between the meal prep bowls. Add your preferred toppings, such as sautéed peppers and onions, guacamole, and salsa.
Home Chef Tip: Prepare all five bowls ahead of time by splitting the ingredients evenly into five air-tight containers. Then you can grab and go in the morning on your way to work and have a satisfying lunch when the time rolls around!
We hope you enjoy these healthy Keto Beef Burrito Bowls and meal prep tips from SoFabFood Home Chef, Davinah from Dr Davinah’s Eats. If you love this flavorful Keto Diet inspired meal, be sure to visit our Keto Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!