You will experience a blast from the past when you snack on these Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites topped with blistered sweet grape tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. This afternoon snack recipe is a great twist on a classic grilled cheese sandwich you can’t resist.
Hello everyone! I’m Sara Maniez from Life’s Little Sweets! Can you believe summer is going by so fast! I am already thinking about easy afternoon snack recipes for the upcoming busy fall season. This recipe is so quick and easy to make with impressive, yet simple presentation and savory-sweet flavors.
Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites
This Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites recipe can work year round – not just in the summer or fall. It has Muenster cheese but you can substitute your favorite cheese if you wish. I love how melt-y and mild Muenster cheese is in a grilled cheese. Mozzarella would be perfect as a flavor pairing with the blistered tomatoes and the fresh basil. If you want, you can try having it with more than one type of cheese.
To blister the tomatoes, I used a stove top grill pan with medium-high heat (after making the grilled cheese sandwich). Doing this makes the flavor of the tomatoes more savory, sweet and intense. You can put your favorite deli meat, for example, ham or crispy bacon would be tasty, if you want to add a meat to these bites.
I used fresh basil from my garden in these Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites and it goes so well, adding aroma and freshness to counter balance the butter and cheese.
These Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites are also great for entertaining; you can serve them as an appetizer at any gathering.
I used a medley of grape tomatoes but you can also use cherry tomatoes as a substitute.
One grilled cheese sandwich makes eight Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites. I used wooden toothpicks to keep the blistered grape tomatoes and fresh basil in place.
I know you are going to love this Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites recipe!
- 2 tbsp salted butter, you can substitute unsalted butter if you want
- 2 slices of hearty white bread or substitute your favorite bread
- 2-3 slices Muenster cheese, you can substitute your favorite cheese
- 8 grape tomatoes, you can substitute cherry tomatoes, washed and dry
- 8 toothpicks
- 4-8 basil leaves, optional
- In a stove top grill pan, over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp of salted butter. Spread the butter around when it's melted to coat the pan.
- Place 2 slices of bread in the pan, add 2-3 slices of Muenster cheese to a piece of bread.
- When the underside of the bread is toasted to desired crispness, flip one side over onto the other (with the cheese in the middle) and lightly press down to adhere the cheese together.
- Adjust the heat, if necessary. Move the sandwich around in the pan to have the bread absorb the melted butter.
- When the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy with grill marks, remove the sandwich. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes (so the pieces won't separate when you cut them), then cut into 8 even pieces.
- While the sandwich is cooling you can use the same pan to blister the tomatoes. Add the 8 cherry tomatoes to the pan on medium-high heat. Toss the tomatoes to ensure even blistering. When they are sufficiently blistered, remove from heat onto a plate.
- Using a toothpick, skewer the tomatoes onto the top of the sliced grilled cheese bites.
- Wrap fresh basil leaves around the tomatoes to add extra flavor and freshness if desired.
Home Chef Tip: You can put your favorite deli meat, for example, ham or crispy bacon would be tasty, if you want to add a meat to these bites.
We hope you enjoy this Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Sara from Life’s Little Sweets, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Lunch section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!