Impress your friends with this delectable, seasonal Balsamic Glazed Grilled Watermelon Stacked Salad recipe. The homemade balsamic glaze highlights the fresh flavors of the watermelon, arugula, and mozzarella.
Do you love summer? I used to think fall was my favorite season, but I’ve seen the error of my ways. Summer is where it’s at – especially given all the amazing fruits and vegetables that are in season around this time of year! Cherries, strawberries, peaches, pineapple, and my personal favorite, super healthy watermelon.
Balsamic Glazed Grilled Watermelon Stacked Salad
I use watermelon in salads in all kinds of ways. Sometimes we scoop out watermelon balls then add feta cheese and olive oil. Sometimes we cut it up and toss it with arugula. Other times, like now, we grill it to make this Balsamic Glazed Grilled Watermelon Stacked Salad which is such a simple weekend recipe.
For this lovely summer salad, we’re grilling watermelon, stacking it with slices of mozzarella, and topping with my favorite balsamic glaze. Grilling watermelon is fairly simple. It gives the fruit a “meaty” flavor, rather than the typical sweetness you might expect. Of course, if you’re looking for a cold, sweet summer salad, this recipe can be made without grilling the watermelon, but it’s always fun to give it a try.
For the balsamic glaze, you can either use a store-bought version or make your own. Making homemade balsamic glaze is simple: Combine balsamic vinegar, sugar, and salt on the stovetop. Let it simmer until thick. Be sure to let it cool, it will thicken even more! It adds sweetness to this Balsamic Glazed Grilled Watermelon Stacked Salad and is a perfect pairing with the mozzarella.
- 16 ounces balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 8-ounce mozzarella cheese ball, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/2 large watermelon cut into 8 squares, roughly the same size as the mozzarella
- 2 cups arugula or mixed greens
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- In a saucepan over medium heat on the stovetop, combine balsamic vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil. Stir and watch until the balsamic reduces by half, and the glaze is thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Heat a grill to high heat. Drizzle watermelon lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill very quickly just to get a slight char, 5-10 seconds per side.
- Place watermelon squares on a platter, top with mozzarella, and add another watermelon square on top.
- Finish each stack off with arugula and a drizzle of the balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: This recipe can be made inside too. For easier grilling, use a grill pan on the stovetop.
We eat this salad with a fork and knife, served warm right after the watermelon comes off the grill. It’s a little sweet, a little savory, and perfect for summer!
We hope you love this Balsamic Glazed Grilled Watermelon Stacked Salad recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Sarah from Drool Worthy Daily, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to visit our Salad Section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!