Skinless, bone-in chicken breasts are baked in a seasoned, heart healthy tomato sauce, then topped with mozzarella cheese to make this Baked Mozzarella Chicken in Tomato Sauce. This one pot meal is perfect for a weeknight, date night, or a fancy dinner party!
Heart Healthy Baked Mozzarella Chicken in Tomato Sauce
This Heart Healthy Baked Mozzarella Chicken in Tomato Sauce recipe is a no fuss meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights, yet fancy enough for date night or gatherings with friends. With just four ingredients and a few spices, you get a delicious meal that bakes up in just one pan in the oven. This dish seriously takes boring old baked chicken to a new level and we’re certain you’ll love all of the bold flavors that this recipe delivers. We love pairing this chicken with spaghetti noodles topped with homemade low sodium marinara, with a side of our homemade lower sodium, lower carb mozzarella sticks, but if you’re watching your carbs or want to skip heavy pastas, this chicken pairs beautiful with a side of broccoli and a salad.
Equally as important as the flavor of this dish, is the simplicity and minimal cleanup for this one pot recipe. Simply spray the bottom of your pan with cooking oil, place the bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed, into the bottom of the pan, cover with no salt added tomato sauce and a can of No Salt Added Ro*tel®. Place your pan in the oven and bake for 50 minutes, remove from the oven, sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese, bake another 10 minutes, and you’re done. Simple and delicious!
Home Chef Tip: If you are using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, reduce the initial baking time to 20 minutes, then top with mozzarella and bake an additional 10 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes.
- 3 large bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 3 tsp Mrs. Dash Tomato and Basil Seasoning
- 2-8 oz cans no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 can No Salt Added Ro*tel®
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (more or less, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Spray the bottom of a large cooking dish with a cover with cooking oil.
- Wash the chicken and remove skin, then place in cooking dish.
- Sprinkle the spices evenly over the chicken.
- Cover the chicken with the tomato sauce and Ro*tel®, then place cover on baking dish, and place it in the oven.
- Bake at 375ºF for 50 minutes, remove, sprinkle with cheese, and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes, for a total of one hour bake time.
- Remove, serve hot over pasta or with a side salad and broccoli.
We hope you love this recipe for Baked Mozzarella Chicken in Tomato Sauce as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to visit our Low Sodium and Chicken sections for more recipes like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!