Fresh slices of avocado, diced tomatoes, and melted Colby Jack and Mozzarella cheeses are all served up on toasted whole wheat bread for a healthy comfort food that’s perfect for your grown up lunch box.
Healthy Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
April is National Grilled Cheese Month and this Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich is perfect for the celebration. Grilled cheese sandwiches are a childhood favorite, but why let kids have all of the fun? We love to experiment with ways to make traditional grilled cheese sandwiches more grown up, and this simple and healthy recipe is one of our favorites. Fresh slices of avocado, diced tomatoes, and melted Colby Jack and Mozzarella cheeses are all served up on toasted whole wheat bread for a healthy comfort food that’s perfect for your grown up lunch box.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 slice Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 slice Colby Jack Cheese
- 4 thin slices of fresh avocado
- ¼ cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Brush a thin layer of Avocado Oil on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one piece of bread in a frying pan, stack slice of Colby Jack cheese, then avocado slices, then diced tomatoes, then slice of Mozzarella cheese, then top with the 2nd slice of bread.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for the same amount of time.
Using Avocado Oil on the bread rather than butter reduces the sogginess and sodium, and makes even cooking easier to avoid burned or uncooked spots on your sandwich. We hope you love this simple recipe for Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich as much as we do. If you enjoyed this easy and healthy lunch idea, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!