When you bite into these Mini Homemade Coconut Doughnuts your tastebuds will experience a burst of sweet flavor. This delightful homemade recipe is the perfect comfort food for breakfast, snacks, and parties!
I am such a coconut lover. I mean, I have never tasted anything made with coconut that I didn’t like. From sweet to savory dishes, coconut is such a great addition for anything. So since I love both doughnuts and coconuts, I decided to coconutilize (this should be a word!) my doughnuts. The special thing about this Mini Homemade Coconut Doughnuts recipe is that they are little and cute. Why are little things so cute? They are the perfect bite-sized treats for parties or snack time with the kiddos.
I fell in love with mini doughnuts some weeks back when I went for a day out with my kids to Como Town here in Minnesota. During our outing I saw a joint where mini doughnuts were being fried and sold right on the spot! It reminded me of my days back home in Cameroon where women sit at the road side and fry Puff Puff, an insanely delicious West African snack made with flour and other basic ingredients.
The aroma from the mini doughnuts wouldn’t let me be. I had to order some. I just had to. They were pure joy doused in cinnamon sugar; soft, fluffy, and fresh. My taste buds danced! I am obsessed with pastries of all kinds, from homemade bread to just about anything that involves flour. In my usual fashion, I decided that I must recreate mini-doughnuts at home. Of course I made them even better by adding one of the most beautiful fruits on the planet, coconut!
Mini Homemade Coconut Doughnuts
Now I’m a little bit of a food nerd. I made my own shredded coconut and coconut milk for this Mini Homemade Coconut Doughnuts recipe from fresh coconut I had at home. You don’t have to go down that route though. Simply purchase some shredded coconut and coconut milk and you’ll be fine. I also added coconut extract to pump up that coconut flavor. Again, you do not have to do this. If you prefer subtle flavors, coconut milk and shredded coconut would do it for you.
To make this Mini Homemade Coconut Doughnuts recipe, mix all the ingredients except the oil to form a dough. Then cut the dough into desired shapes. You could cut it into circles, rectangles, or any shapes you like! If you have mini cookie cutters USE THEM.
You could bake these bad boys, but let’s face it: they taste much better when fried! Since they are small they fry in only a couple of minutes. Yum!
When they are fried, put them in a paper bag, add some sugar, and shake to coat. Voila, you will have the tastiest Mini Homemade Coconut Doughnuts before you!
Then sit down and eat like there is no tomorrow. They are soft, perfectly coconutty, and sweet, but not overwhelmingly sweet!
These Mini Homemade Coconut Doughnuts come with a warning though. They are so addictive! I love enjoying them with a coconut-mango smoothie. It’s coconut for the win!
Bite-sized coconut doughnuts are the perfect snack or party food. They are perfectly coconutty, sweet, soft, and so good!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 sachet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp butter - melted
- 1 large egg - beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup coconut milk (lukewarm - 110°F)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl mix together yeast and coconut milk, let it sit for two minutes.
- Add in the melted butter, egg, and coconut extract (optional). Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well to form a dough.
- Add in the coconut flakes and mix well to combine.
- Transfer dough to a floured board and knead for 5 minutes, sprinkling with more flour as needed.
- Cut dough into two. Roll out each part to be about half an inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Let the cut dough rest for about 5 minutes before frying.
- To fry, heat up oil on high for about 5-10 minutes (350°F). Then reduce to medium heat.
- Fry in batches being careful not to overcrowd the pan. When one side is golden brown, flip to the other side and let it turn brown too.
- The cooking time for the doughnuts is 3-5 minutes.
- Remove doughnuts and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Immediately place doughnuts in a paper grocery bag or a lunch bag. Sprinkle sugar on top and shake thoroughly so the sugar coats all of the doughnuts.
Home Chef Tip: Make dough the night before and store in in the refrigerator so you can make a quick and fresh snack the next day. Use cookie cutters to cut into fun shapes. You could also use a knife or pizza cuter to cut the dough into any shapes you like; triangles, rectangles, squares, etc. You could even mold the dough into one inch balls.
We hope you enjoy this Mini Homemade Coconut Doughnuts recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Precious from Precious Core, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to checkout our other Breakfast recipes for more simple recipes to start your day. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!