Host a lunchtime fiesta when you make a simple deli-style meal that’s sure to impress. This 30-Minute Taco Soup paired with a simple Mexican Grilled Cheese Quesadilla is a deliciously quick cheap healthy meal everyone will love!
My name is Teri Stephens and I blog at Buy This Cook That. We prepare and share homemade recipes + ideas for busy food lovers like you. Our favorite recipes are southern classics with a twist. In this case, we are bringing you a nutritious taco soup with a south of the border flair.
A cheap healthy meal in 30 minutes!
If you are like me, you take pride in preparing home-cooked meals for your family. But…we all know that in today’s busy world, it is hard to make that happen. We’ve got you. This recipe for 30-Minute Taco Soup is fast and delicious, and tastes like you’ve been slaving away at the stove all day. Plus, the kids are going to love these fun and flavorful Mexican Grilled Cheese Quesadillas.
Life moves so fast. We TOTALLY get it. Work and school and meetings and activities. Ball practice, house cleaning, doctor’s appointments. There are nights when all I want to do is walk in the door and drop everything and let the kids fend for themselves.
This recipe for 30-Minute Taco Soup lets me do just that. I walk in, toss everything in a pot, and chill. Well, I chill while the soup simmers. Can’t you taste this already? Every bite is full of tomatoes, sweet corn, and black beans.
Tips for achieving slow-simmered flavor quickly:
- Start the soup by simmering minced garlic in a little oil. This gives a savory garlic flavor to the soup with very little effort.
- Save some time and use a packaged taco seasoning mix. I like the low-sodium version because it gives all the flavor without so much salt.
- Soup up your soup with chicken or vegetable broth instead of water. Using convenience products gives the taco soup a well-rounded flavor without tasting flat.
We also wanted our 30-Minute Taco Soup to be fun to eat. You know, like the tomato soup + grill cheese sandwiches you had when you were a kid? We made easy Mexican Grilled Cheese Quesadillas for soup dippers.
Make your easy cheesy quesadillas:
- Heat your oven and spray it lightly with non-stick spray.
- Top a small flour tortilla with a generous amount of cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle with diced green chiles.
- Top with a layer of Monterrey jack cheese.
- Sprinkle with a dash of chili powder.
- Top with another tortilla and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Bake, flip, and finish under the broiler for just a minute. You can also make these on a griddle, but we are all about saving time.
Isn’t this 30 Minute Taco Soup so fun? My kids and husband loved it, and I have a feeling your family will, too. You can totally make this recipe your own by stirring in your favorite ingredients and toppings. We kept ours simple with fresh and creamy avocado. So good.
If you like this recipe, check out our fast Marinated Tomato + Pesto Portabellos.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-oz can southwestern style kernel corn, undrained
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4-oz can green chiles, undrained, divided
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1-oz package low-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 10-12 soft flour tortillas, 6" size
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Chili powder, to taste
- Non-stick spray
- 1 avocado, sliced, optional
- In a 5-quart pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in the minced garlic and cook until just golden, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn, beans, half of the green chiles, taco seasoning packet, and broth. Add the uncooked rice and heat to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with Mexican Grilled Cheese Quesadillas and fresh avocado if desired.
- While the taco soup is simmering, preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a large baking sheet lightly with non-stick spray.
- Place half of the tortillas onto the baking sheet. Top each tortilla evenly with cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining green chiles evenly over the cheese. Add a layer of Monterrey jack cheese and sprinkle very lightly with chili powder.
- Top each quesadilla with another tortilla.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Flip carefully with a spatula, and broil for 1 - 2 minutes until golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Home Chef Tip: Mix it up and swap black beans for red kidney beans or garbanzo beans.
Love this 30-Minute Taco Soup? Pin it for later!
We hope you love this 30-Minute Taco Soup recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Teri from Buy This, Cook That, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our 30-Minute Meals Section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!