Tofu Stir Fry + How to Cook Crispy and Flavorful Tofu You’ll Love!
Vegetarian meals can be extremely flavorful, healthy, and satisfying when you add in all of the right ingredients and spices. Knowing how to cook some of these non-meat alternatives, like tofu, can be somewhat of a challenge though. If you’ve never been a fan of tofu, chances are you haven’t been cooking it right or the seasoning has been off. On it’s own, tofu is very soggy and bland. Cooked correctly, it’s a delicious source of protein for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. This Tofu Stir Fry can be served as a salad, over a bed of rice or noodles, or wrapped up in a tortilla as a satisfying lunch.
How to Cook Crispy Tofu at Home
To get flavorful and crispy tofu at home, you have to make sure you go through some preparations prior to actually cooking the tofu or it just won’t turn out right.
- Start out with a high-quality block of organic tofu. You can find this in your favorite grocery store’s produce section, or if you’re lucky enough to live in an area where tofu is made fresh at a local market, get that instead.
- Place the block of tofu between 2 plates and use something relatively heavy to place on the top plate to squeeze the juices from the tofu, about 5 minutes on both sides, draining in between. It may take longer, just watch until the juices stop draining out.
- Carefully cut your tofu in to 3 blocks length wise, then slice it about 1/2 inch thick across the width. Then season as desired. We use a little bit of sea salt and some black pepper on each side. It’s a simple flavor combination that pairs well with most dishes.
Then simply heat about 5 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil in a deep frying pan or wok on medium heat and fry your seasoned tofu on each side for 5-6 minutes each. Just watch for crispness because you’ll know when it’s done. This crispy tofu is simply delicious and it really doesn’t take any time at all to make. You can even store the leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator to use throughout the week. It’s perfect in a stir fry, tacos, burritos, taco salads, or just about any recipe as a substitute for chicken strips.
- 1 cup cooked tofu
- 1 red bell pepper, pitted and cubed
- ¼ red onion, cut into squares
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup snow peas
- 1 cup stir fry sauce of choice (We use a low-sodium General Tso's Sauce)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fry tofu and set aside.
- Heat olive oil.
- Cut onion, pepper, and mushrooms, and place in heated oil.
- Put whole snow peas in the vegetable mixture.
- Heat on low to medium heat for about 10 minutes. Vegetables should still be crisp, but a little tender.
- Stir in sauce and toss.
- Put the tofu in the pan and toss and cook an additional minute or so until everything is mixed well and heated.
We hope you love this recipe for Low Sodium Tofu Stir Fry as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single healthy recipe. And for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!