Hearty Potato Soup: A Vegetarian Recipe
A good, hearty soup is always a great choice for lunch all by itself or paired with your favorite sandwich for dinner. We love soup any time of the year, and this Vegetarian Spicy Potato Soup is one of our favorites. Unlike traditional potato soup recipes and canned varieties, this recipe doesn’t use meat stock as a base so it’s perfect for vegetarians yet flavorful enough that even the meat eaters in your life will walk away from the dinner table feeling full and satisfied. Green chiles give this soup that extra kick that makes it stand out above the rest. As an added bonus, this recipe is very low in sodium so it’s heart healthy too.
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 4 cups cubed boiled potatoes
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1-4 oz can diced green chiles, undrained
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup soy milk
- ¼ cup instant potato flakes
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- In a large pot on the stovetop, boil cubed potatoes in vegetable stock until tender then mash to desired consistency.
- Sauté the onion in butter until tender.
- Mix butter and onion in with your potatoes.
- Add soy milk, chiles, pepper, and potato flakes into the pot and stir thoroughly.
- Heat on the stove top on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese and croutons.
We hope you love this Hearty Vegetarian Potato Soup recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this low sodium soup recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single healthy recipe. And for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our members are sharing. Enjoy!