These Toffee Crunch Apple Scones are the perfect fall treat. Get the recipe, a definitive guide to apple uses, and two simple hacks for keeping your sliced apples fresh, all in one article!
Toffee Crunch Apple Scones Recipe
This recipe calls for grated apples, but if you would like to add a bit more apple substance to these Toffee Crunch Apple Scones, you can use small apple chunks instead. Any variety of apple that you have on hand will work, but a juicy variety will work best. We prefer using McIntosh Apples because they’re juicy, tangy, and firm, and work perfectly in this recipe! Can’t find McIntosh apples at your favorite grocery store? Turn to our Definitive Guide to Apples and Their Uses to find a variety that suits your tastebuds.
You can purchase toffee bits in a bag or you can crush with a rolling pin or in a food processor. If you are not fond of toffee, you can omit this ingredient completely and create a yummy apple cinnamon scone instead. The glaze can be omitted or it can be added just before serving. These Toffee Crunch Apple Scones are extra scrumptious when served warm.
This recipe works best with ripe, fresh apples. If you want to make this recipe for dessert on a busy weeknight, but you know you’ll be short on time, do a little prep work in advance. The night before, cut your apples to reduce the prep time when you’re ready to assemble and bake. Worried about your apples browning or softening overnight after slicing them? Not a problem at all! We’ve got two easy hacks to combat that.
- Keep sliced apples fresh longer by simply dipping them in Sprite® then sealing them tightly in zipper bags. Your fresh apples will last up to three days in the refrigerator without browning.
- Prevent sliced apples from browning using the rubber band trick. Slice the apple, not all the way down, with an apple slicer or knife, then pull the apple back up so the pieces are all back together, and secure with a rubber band.
- 1 Cup apple, grated
- 1/2 Cup toffee bits
- 2 Cups flour (plus some to dust work surface and hands)
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp nutmeg
- 1Tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup butter, cold
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 1 Cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- Cut the butter in with a pastry cutter or two forks.
- In another bowl, add the egg, yogurt, vanilla, and whisk thoroughly.
- Pour wet mixture over dry, and fold until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Add the grated apples and toffee bits. Fold until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Sprinkle some flour over the work surface and coat hands.
- Turn dough out onto surface and shape it into an 8 inch round. If dough is sticking, work in a tiny bit more flour.
- Slice the round into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges on the baking sheet and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Bake until the scones are a light golden color. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the icing sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over top of the scones.
- Enjoy warm!
Home Chef Tip: Any variety of apple that you have on hand will work, but a juicy variety will work best.
We hope you love these Toffee Crunch Apple Scones from SoFabFood Contributor, Bella from xoxo Bella, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredible dessert ideas. Enjoy!