These awesome Gluten-Free Rocky Road Bars are an easy and quick treat that combines chocolate, marshmallows, and pecans drizzled over an addicting thick cookie crust. S’mores on steroids!
With fall in full swing, the desserts have changed from summertime strawberry and watermelon everything to pumpkin, pumpkin, and pumpkin everything.
But when it comes to fall camping, nothing beats warm fires, campfire meals, and s’mores galore.
With pumpkin being so popular right now, and that’s really all you ever see in dessert recipes these days, I wanted to create a simple dessert square that uses something other than pumpkin. So going down the campfire s’more route, I decided to make a rocky road bar. Chocolate, marshmallows, and a gluten-free cookie crust make this unique dessert a true winner during the cooler weather months.
It’s chocolatey, it’s peanut buttery, and it’s crunchy and gooey all rolled into one. Oh yeah… and did I mention that these are no-bake? That’s right; you don’t bake these squares. So easy!
Gluten-Free Rocky Road Bars Recipe for Fall
Living a gluten-free lifestyle usually means missing out on s’more-like goodies around the campfire. Since this cookie crust is made out of brown and powdered sugars, peanut butter (or any other nut butter for peanut allergies), and butter, there’s absolutely no gluten in the “graham cracker” cookie layer of these delicious squares.
Because these treats are perfect little contained squares, they are easily devoured around the campfire (or holiday party) with a lot less mess than actual s’mores.
I recommend placing these Gluten-Free Rocky Road Bars in the fridge for a few hours to allow the cookie crust and the chocolate to harden. Then remove and let sit out for a few minutes before you try cutting them into squares. The chocolate is perfectly thick and will be easier to cut through after being in a room temperature environment for about 10 minutes.
I like to keep my squares in the fridge, but you can also keep the squares in an airtight container on the counter for a few days. I highly doubt that these squares will last that long without being snatched up though!
- 1 3/4 cups peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup GF mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Coarse sea salt
- Line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Stir the peanut butter, brown sugar, confectioners sugar, and butter together. Mix well and press evenly into parchment-lined pan.
- In a medium microwavable bowl, heat the chocolate chips according to package instructions.
- Pour half of the melted chocolate over the peanut butter crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows and nuts over the melted chocolate layer and then drizzle the remaining melted chocolate on top in a smooth layer. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 2-3 hours.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: If you have a peanut allergy, the peanut butter can be substituted with any other nut butter and the pecans can be swapped with almonds or cashews for amazingly tasty alternatives!
We hope you love these Gluten-Free Rocky Road Bars from SoFabFood Contributor, Jessica from Bless Her Heart Y’all, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredible dessert ideas. Enjoy!