This 30-minute meal, Dijon Mustard Sauce Pork Chops for 2, is a French-inspired dish that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or romantic date night. This budget-friendly dinner is sure to be loved by all!
When my husband and I first started dating, neither one of us were the cooks that we are now. We went out to eat a lot and when we tried to impress each other in the kitchen, it didn’t always work out so well. In fact, my father used to say that I could burn water! We’ve come a long way, baby! Now, we actually prefer eating at home.
How do you manage cooking for 2?
We can thank my parents, who are excellent cooks, for the skills and recipes we’ve picked up over the years. The only problem is, when my parents cook, they cook big! It comes from feeding a large family of kids throughout the years. Since I only have to cook for my husband and myself, I’ve had to tweak the recipes I learned to fit our small home of two.
What’s your favorite budget-friendly dinner?
One of my favorite meals for two is pork chops! They’re budget-friendly and so easy to make. One small package of pork chops usually has two or three chops in it making them a perfect meat to prepare for two.
Pork chops can be prepared in so many ways, too. We love them on the grill during the summer, but as long as you have a cast iron skillet, you’ll be able to make amazing pork chops at home!
A French-inspired dish for date night?
This was one of the first pork chop recipes I ever made for us. There’s just something about a Dijon mustard sauce that goes so well with pork. This French-inspired sauce is made with Dijon mustard, sliced mushrooms, onions, fresh herbs, garlic, and a splash of white wine. It might sound fancy, but it’s an easy dish that makes dinner at home feel like date night!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bone-in center cut pork chops, about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick
- 3 tbs. chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the pork chops from the skillet and keep warm. Wipe out the skillet.
- In the same skillet, add the onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Then, add the mushrooms and cook until softened. Add more olive oil to the pan, if necessary.
- Add the white wine and broth to the pan. Stir in the Dijon mustard.
- Bring sauce just to a boil. Then, lower to a simmer cooking for another couple of minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs to the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plate the pork chops and spoon the sauce over them.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs, if desired, and serve.
Home Chef Tip: Do not overcook the pork chops or they will become dry. Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the pork chops. Pork needs to be an internal temperature of 145ºF to be done.
It’s always fun to revisit some of the first recipes I ever made for us. That feeling of success at first bite was always so fulfilling. These are the types of meals for two that I truly love to cook! They’re not only delicious, but have happy memories attached to them.
Love this recipe for 2? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy this Dijon Mustard Sauce Pork Chops for 2 recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Jessica from Living La Vida Holoka, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, try our other cheap healthy meals. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!