This Roasted Vegetable Puff Pastry Pizza is the perfect healthy comfort food. The simple puff pastry base makes this semi-homemade meal quick enough for a weeknight meal, but fancy enough for a date night in when you’re cooking for two.
A Simple Twist on America’s Favorite Comfort Food!
Being a pizza-obsessed family, we love all kinds of variations to it. From changing the base to the sauce and toppings, we have done it all. Swapping vegetables for fruits, red sauce to pesto or white sauce, and bread to lavash or pita makes the yummiest of recipes.
Pizzas are perfect for all kinds of meals. We enjoy it for busy weeknight meals, game days, entertaining, and even date night. I generally keep a few homemade sauces frozen so using them to make pizzas is a breeze. Apart from the sauce, the rest of the ingredients are pretty easy to put together!
Roasted Vegetable Puff Pastry Pizza with Pesto Base
This time I experimented with my pizza and the result was outstanding! I just had to share it with you so you do not miss out on this simple recipe. It’s small size lends well if you’re cooking for two or serving it as a party appetizer, but feel free to double up for your family meal!
First, start with a store bought or made from scratch puff pastry sheet. It makes a super flaky base for the pizza and is delicious. Super quick to use, these sheets are a great vehicle for all kinds of pizzas. Make a large one or cut the sheet into small bites; it all works really well. Remember to thaw the sheets well before you make your recipe.
Choose Your Sauce!
Next comes the sauce. This recipe uses an incredibly easy and delicious Basil Walnut Pesto as the sauce. This is a welcome break from the regular red sauce and freezes really well. Make a bulk batch in winter and use it throughout the year!
Top your Puff Pastry Crust with Roasted Vegetables!
Finally we come to the toppings; I used roasted vegetables and pineapple in this pizza. The veggies work really well with the pesto, but you can add your favorite protein. Tofu, paneer, or chicken work well with the flavor of the pesto. I used just a little bit of cheese, but feel free to load your pizza up if you’d like! So wait no further and head straight to the recipe below.
Whether it’s as a weeknight meal, a romantic date night where you’re cooking for two, or you’re entertaining a crowd and you want an appetizer sure to impress, this is the recipe you’ll want to turn to!
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry (store bought or made from scratch)
- 1 cup Basil Walnut Pesto (recipe below)
- 2-3 slices Onion
- 4-5 slices Green Red and Yellow Pepper
- 2 slices Pineapple
- 1-2 slices Tomato
- 2-3 quartered Artichokes
- 1/2 medium Jalapeño, sliced
- 4-5 Olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 tbsp Pizza Seasoning
- 2 cups Basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Walnuts
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Roast the walnuts and wash the basil leaves.
- In a blender, add all the ingredients except olive oil and blend to a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and whip in the olive oil.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet for 45 minutes. Using a sharp knife cut 1 inch strips from the sides of the sheet and make a border on the remaining sheet.
- Use a fork to prick the center of the sheet so that it does not rise. Sprinkle some pizza seasoning on the sides.
- Place the sheet on a baking tray and bake at 350ºF/200ºC for 15 minutes, until the puff pastry rises and is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, grill pineapples, onions, and peppers in the oven.
- Remove the grilled vegetables and the puff pastry sheet from the oven.
- Spread the basil pesto on the puff pastry.
- Arrange the grilled vegetables along with olives, artichoke quarters, jalapeño slices, and tomatoes. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese melts and the puff pastry is beautifully brown on the sides.
- Serve cut into pieces with your favorite soda on the side.
Home Chef tip: Convert this veggie pizza to a meat lovers' pizza by adding your favorite protein. Swap basil pesto for marinara if you like your sauce red.
Love this Recipe? Pin it for Later!
We hope you enjoy this Roasted Vegetable Puff Pastry Pizza recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Smruti from Herbivore Cucina, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Pizza Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!