Considered by some to be the national dish of Belgium, this Steak Frites Dinner for 2, French for steak and fries, is perfect for date night dinner or an easy weeknight meal. Walk into any brasserie or cafe in France and you’ll agree this simple dish is French cuisine at its finest!
Need a simple dinner for 2? Steak Frites is the answer!
While Steak Frites is a simple dish, it’s one that has plenty of great flavor and tends not to disappoint. While the steak and fries combination is pretty standard for this meal, the steak can often be made any number of ways.
Whether you’re looking for peppered steak (steak au poivre) or a steak with wine and shallot sauce, as shown here, the options for flavoring your steak are plentiful.
This recipe is a favorite because the steak gets fantastic flavor from the wine sauce, yet requires minimal effort to put together. To create this steak frites recipe, you’ll simply season your steak with some salt and pepper, then grill the steak in a hot pan until it’s cooked to your liking.
An international dish in 30 minutes!
Once the steak has cooked, it is removed from the pan and shallots are added to the pan to be sautéed. A splash of red wine and some beef stock are added to the shallots, then this quick sauce is poured over the prepared steaks.
The fries are also just as easy to prepare. They are simply spread out on a baking sheet and drizzled with olive oil and some salt. Bake the fries in a hot oven for about 15 minutes, until crisp and golden. This way, the fries are ready at about the same time your steak is.
You can pair steak frites with a simple green salad, baked veggies, or even some grilled corn if you have fresh corn on the cob. If you wanted to give this dish an even healthier take, you could easily swap out the regular potato fries for sweet potato fries!
- 2 Sirloin Tip Steaks
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Shallot, sliced
- 3 tbsp Red Wine
- 1/3 cup Beef Stock
- 1 Medium Russet Potato, peeled
- Olive Oil, for fries and grill pan
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper. Cut the potato into matchstick pieces and spread out onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over all the fries, then sprinkle salt all over. Use your hands to toss the fries in the oil and salt, then spread the fries out on the pan so that they're not on top of each other or overlapping. Bake the fries for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- To prepare the steaks, season both sides of the steaks with a generous pinch of salt and a pinch of freshly ground pepper.
- Brush a grill pan that has edges, or a cast iron pan, with some oil to coat the pan. Heat the pan over medium-high heat, and once hot, add in the steaks. Grill the steaks for approximately 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare steaks. When the steak has finished cooking, place each steak on a plate.
- To the pan, add the shallot slices and sauté for a minute. Pour in the wine and use a wooden spoon to scrape up the steak bits from the pan. Pour in the beef stock, then let the liquid in the pan simmer until it's reduced to half the amount. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then give the sauce a stir.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the sauce over the two steaks, then garnish with some of the shallots. Add the fries onto the plate and any additional side that you want.
Home Chef Tip: For an even richer sauce, add a tablespoon of unsalted butter to the pan and sauté the shallot in the butter.
We hope you love this Steak Frites recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Beeta from Mon Petit Four, as much as we do. If you love this quick and simple dinner for two, stop by our 30-Minute Meals Section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!