This Homemade Grilled Caprese Pizza is a vegetarian dish made from scratch. Topped with the fresh flavors of tomato, basil, and mozzarella on an easy homemade pizza crust, these single serve pizzas are perfect if you’re cooking for two for date night.
What’s your favorite grilled pizza?
It’s got all the flavors of summer like fresh, ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, fragrant and fresh basil, and it’s seasoned with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, Kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper to taste.
The distinctive thing about this recipe is that you can make it on the stove top or on the outdoor grill if you prefer. Yes, you can enjoy this Grilled Caprese Pizza all year round! All you need is a stove top grill pan (one of my best friends in the kitchen! I use a 10 inch one.).
Who’s ready for Tomato Season?
For us here in New Jersey, tomato season is as early as July 5th and lasts from July 10th all the way through September 15th, going as late as October 15th, as the weather allows.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize it to your liking. Feel free to add a protein like chicken or swap out ingredients.
Basil is an herb that I grow every year in my garden. It’s easy to grow and enhances so many recipes.
I suggest trying to find the best quality balsamic vinegar you can and a little goes a long way. There’s something about its flavor that just enhances all the other ingredients in this recipe.
With a homemade crust that’s perfect for personal-sized pizzas, this Grilled Caprese Pizza recipe is perfect for date night or any night you just want a fresh, vegetarian dish with all of the fresh farmers market flavors of summer.
- 1 (.25 ooz package) active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110ºF/45ºC)
- 2 1/2 cup bread flour
- 2 tbsp regular olive oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce, divided
- 1 oz fresh basil (I just buy a bunch in the grocery store, so there's plenty for topping), chopped
- 8 oz Mozzarella ball, sliced in 1/4 inch, half moon slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp regular olive oil, plus more for cooking the pizza in the pan
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- In a small bowl or wet measure for pouring, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine, set aside.
- Prepare a floured surface.
- In a warm cup of water, add the package of yeast, 2 tablespoons olive oil. and sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread flour and kosher salt.
- Add the yeast-water mixture to the flour mixture and combine completely.
- Put dough onto the prepared floured surface and using a dough scraper or your hands, knead 10 times to form a ball. Divide in half. You can rest the dough for 5 minutes to relax it, if necessary.
- Using a rolling pin, take each ball, one at a time, and roll out into a 10 inch round shape.
- On a 10 inch or larger stove top grill pan, add 1-2 teaspoons olive oil, heat the pan to medium heat before adding the dough.
- Carefully place the dough in the grill pan. Add 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, half the tomato slices, half the mozzarella cheese slices, and chopped basil. Cover with a spatter lid to keep heat in or a lid allowing heat to escape as it cooks - this allows the cheese to get melty and toppings to cook without trapping too much moisture which would make the pizza soggy. Adjust the heat lower, if you see the bottom heating up too much or you anticipate the oil burning. Allow the pizza to cook 15-20 minutes. The bottom should be nice and crisp and cheese should be melty. When it's done, transfer to a rack to cool or slice and serve, repeat with the 2nd 10 inch pizza dough, enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: To grill outdoors, prepare a grill for medium-high, indirect heat. Lightly oil pizza crust, place on the grill rack, and grill for 45 seconds to 1 minute - just until grill marks form. Flip and grill for 45 seconds. Top the pizza, close the lid, and grill for 7-9 minutes, until the cheese is melted and at the doneness you prefer. Watch the bottom for burning and adjust the heat as necessary.
We hope you enjoy this Grilled Caprese Pizza recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Sara from Life’s Little Sweets, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Pizza Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!