Serve a heart-healthy, high protein meal when you make this simple recipe for Mussels in Low Sodium Marinara Sauce.
If you’re looking for a high protein, low calorie meal that’s full of delicious flavors, this Mussels in Low Sodium Marinara Sauce dish fits the bill. A 3-ounce serving of mussels has a whopping 20 grams of fiber which is about 40% of your recommended daily intake. Mussels are extremely high in vitamin B-12 which is great for supplying you with energy, boosting your mood, and slowing aging. Mussels can be cooked in or out of their shells and are available frozen. The high amount of protein helps you build muscle and lose fat. There’s a lot of healthy awesome in this simple dish!
- 1 pouch Frozen Mussels
- For the Low Sodium Sauce:
- 1-8 oz can Low Sodium Tomato Puree
- 1-8 oz can No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
- 1 can Low Sodium Diced Tomatoes with Basil and Oregano
- 1 tbsp dried oregano and basil
- 1 tbsp dried onions
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- Dice and slice your onions and red peppers.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and sauté the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and pepper.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and simmer for a few hours.
- For the Mussels:
- Follow package instructions.
- Sprinkle with lemon and parmesan to serve, optional.
If you love this simple Mussels with Low Sodium Marinara recipe, be sure to visit our Seafood Section for even more like it, and our Low Sodium section. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!