These Lavender Pear Egg Rolls are a unique combination of sweet and savory that everyone will adore. This delicious dessert is perfect for the season and delivers a sweet twist to a traditional Chinese favorite.
Lavender Pear Egg Rolls – A Unique Fall Dessert Idea
There are two things I love in this world that are not typically seen in recipes. Lavender and pears! For whatever the reason, perhaps to do with the shifting of the seasons, these two are always overlooked and nearly absent in any chefs’ routine. What I love about lavender is that it can be paired seamlessly with desserts and beverages and just adds another dimension of flavor.
This concept came to fruition while I was craving a warm dessert, but one that also had lightness to it while packing immense flavor. Thus the vegan Lavender Pear Egg Roll was born!
While egg rolls typically gravitate more towards savory, I love when recipes combine sweet and savory ingredients as it puts a modern twist on things and makes food simply more fun.
What I admire about this recipe is that it’s effortless, affordable, has minimal ingredients, all the components are accessible and affordable, light on the sugar, and it takes minutes to make! Put all these qualities together, and you have the perfect go-to dessert every day of the year!
In addition to this seamless concept, you can use lavender and pears for a myriad of dessert recipes as the combo is timeless and “pairs” perfectly with any season. You can do crumbles, pies, puddings, or whatever you’re craving! For those who don’t have an affinity for chocolate (like myself) this will be your new go-to combination!
Whether you stick to the basics when it comes to desserts or cook outside of the box, recipes like this are game changers! If you’re looking for a dessert that pleases the eye and your taste buds, you have to try these Lavender Pear Egg Rolls! To take this dessert over the top, serve it with fresh whipped cream!
- 3-4 pears peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 drop of lavender oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 10-12 egg roll wrappers
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Cinnamon sugar, to taste
- Peel and dice the pears into small pieces and place in a medium-sized pot. In a small bowl combine the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Sprinkle over pears; add water, vanilla, lavender oil, and dot with butter.
- Cover and bring mixture to a slow boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer until the apples are tender and the mixture starts to thicken up.
- Remove from heat and set aside to slightly cool. Lay one egg roll wrapper on a clean surface or cutting board. Place 2-3 tablespoons of pear filling onto each egg roll wrapper.
- Fold bottom corner over filling and then fold side corners and roll (use the back of the package for a guide).
- Brush a bit of water on the top corner and sides to seal the wrapper before completely rolling up. Continue with remaining filling and wrappers.
- In a large skillet, preheat the oil to 350ºF. Place the egg rolls flap side down and fry a few at a time turning occasionally until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle egg rolls with a bit of cinnamon, sugar, and/or powdered sugar. Garnish with pears and lavender buds and serve with homemade whip cream!
Home Chef Tip: These egg rolls can also be baked instead of fried. Place egg rolls on a greased baking sheet, or use parchment paper. Bake the egg rolls at 375ºF for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Brush on a bit of melted butter or use a butter spray and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Serve alone or topped with homemade whip cream
Recipe yields: 10 - 12 Egg Rolls depending on how much filling is used.
We hope you love these delicious Lavender Pear Egg Rolls from SoFabFood Contributor, Gabrielle from Eat. Drink. Shrink., as much as we do. If you like this simple dessert recipe, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredible dessert ideas. Enjoy!