If you have been searching for a tasty, vegan, and gluten-free dessert to share with friends, stop right now! This GF Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet full of peanut butter and chia seeds has your name written all over it.
If you ask me, there is nothing better than a warm chocolate chip cookie topped with vanilla ice cream. The ooey-gooey chocolate, the crunchy exterior of the cookie paired with the moist crumb, the ice cream melting over the warm cookie — need I say more? I decided to kick it up a notch with a Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet full of peanut butter, which is a great vegan and gluten-free dessert. The name is a mouthful and so is this delicious cookie skillet!
Gluten-Free Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
To make the recipe vegan, we used vegan butter, plus a chia egg which is a combination of chia seeds and water left to sit for a few minutes until it gels up. You can also easily make this recipe with regular all-purpose flour, real butter, and a normal egg if you don’t need the recipe to be gluten free and vegan.
The secret to getting little pockets of peanut butter in this Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet is to layer! Just press half of the dough into the cast iron pan, dollop with peanut butter, and then gently cover with the rest of the cookie dough. If you don’t have an oven safe cast-iron skillet available, use a cake pan! That’s what we did when we shared this delicious flourless chocolate cookie pizza.
Now all you have to worry about is what you’re going to top your chocolate chip cookie skillet with… a drizzle of chocolate, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, peanut butter, chopped nuts? The possibilities are endless! This Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet is a great recipe for a gluten-free dessert. It’s easy to prepare and only takes a few ingredients. The hardest part will be waiting for it to come out of the oven so you can dig in!
- 8 tbsp butter (we used Earth Balance™ Dairy-Free Butter)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, plus 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (we used Guittard® extra dark, which are dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips, for drizzling
- 1 tbsp peanut butter, for drizzling
- Vanilla ice cream, for topping (We love Nada Moo! dairy-free vanilla ice cream)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray an oven-safe cast iron skillet (about 10 inches in diameter) with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds and water, stir. Let sit for about 5 minutes, until the mixture has a gel-like consistency.
- Cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the chia seed mixture and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Whisk to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Press half of the dough into the cast iron skillet. Add teaspoon-sized dollops of the peanut butter to the dough about 1/2 inch apart. Top gently with the remaining cookie dough.
- Bake at 350Fº for 28-32 minutes, until the cookie is golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat up the dark chocolate chips in a small microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Heat the peanut butter in a microwave bowl for about 45 seconds, until very liquid.
- Drizzle both the peanut butter and chocolate over the cookie. Serve with ice cream.
Home Chef Tip: If you don't have a cast iron skillet, use a cake pan instead.
We hope you love this GF Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Megan from A Dash of Megnut, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Dessert Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!