We all know that an apple a day helps keep the doctor away, but do you know why that is? These five impressive health benefits of apples may surprise you!
Eat an apple a day and enjoy the healthy benefits!
You have heard the saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”, but do you know why that is? The health benefits of apples are many and there are so many delicious varieties to choose from. Apples are the perfect portable and nutritious snack.
- Appetite Control – Apples are high in dietary fiber with an average of 6 grams of fiber per medium-sized apple. Fiber slows down digestion and makes you feel full longer, thus, no snacking on unhealthy choices in between meals.
- Lower Bad Cholesterol – A 2012 study out of The Ohio State University found that eating one apple a day for four weeks greatly reduced participants’ levels of oxidized LDL (low-density lipoprotein), a type of cholesterol that’s more likely to promote inflammation than unoxidized LDL.
- Reduce Chances of High Blood Pressure – Because apples are high in potassium, a mineral that helps control blood pressure, they can help reduce the risk of stroke.
- Cancer Deterrent – When the natural fiber in apples ferments in the colon, it produces chemicals that help fight the formation of cancer cells. One type of antioxidant, called procyanidins, triggered a series of cell signals that resulted in cancer cell death.
- Boost the Immune System – Red apples contain an antioxidant called Quercetin which can help boost and fortify your immune system.
Some of our favorite apple recipes to try:
- You’ll love this Detox Tea made with apple cider vinegar, apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and honey. With the cold weather approaching, you need this immunity booster and detox drink first thing in the morning.
- A British Christmas tradition is adapted into a fun and delicious holiday dessert dish. Apple and Pear Christmas Crackers, also perfect for New Year’s parties, are a novelty item and a fun part of the holiday dinner.
- Boost your metabolism with this simple recipe for Dr. Oz Recommended Apple Cinnamon Metabolism Detox Water. This recipe is simple to make and you and your waistline will love the results!
We hope you find this information about the health benefits of apples useful in your quest for a happier, healthier you. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Food Tips section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research and personal experience.