A gluten-free food and superfood powerhouse, Quinoa is a protein-rich food higher in fiber than most other grains. Quinoa contains iron, lysine, and magnesium. Enjoy Quinoa Health Benefits with these 5 Quinoa Recipes!
Just how healthy is quinoa anyway?
Touted as a superfood powerhouse, quinoa is a gluten-free grain with higher protein and fiber levels than other grains making it the perfect option for the health-conscious home chef. This budget-friendly grain is super versatile and it contains high contents of iron, lysine, and magnesium; all nutrients your body needs to run efficiently. Add this super grain to your daily diet, and you’ll soon reap quinoa health benefits that you’ve been lacking!
Quinoa health benefits you need to know:
- Aids in Digestion: Studies have shown that quinoa contains a range of 17-27 grams of fiber per 1-cup serving. Most of the fiber is insoluble, but one cup of quinoa still contains 2.5 grams of insoluble fiber which helps to add in digestion.
- Enjoy a Vegetarian Protein Source: Quinoa is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
- Increase your Iron Intake: Quinoa is a great source of iron (15% of the RDA). Iron helps keep our red blood cells healthy, carries oxygen from one cell to another, and supplies oxygen to our muscles to aid in their contraction. Iron is said to increase brain function too!
- Perfect for Celiacs and Gluten-Free Diets: Not only is quinoa gluten-free, but it’s also richer in healthy compounds like folate than common gluten-free grains like rice and corn.
- A Natural Source of Magnesium: Magnesium helps to relax blood vessels which helps alleviate migraines. Magnesium also may reduce Type 2 diabetes by promoting healthy blood sugar control. Other health benefits of magnesium include transmission of nerve impulses, body temperature regulation, and energy production.
Try these 5 quinoa recipes:
- This One Pot Braised Chicken with Quinoa with added mushrooms and green peas is a complete meal that is satisfying and cooks in under an hour. It is the perfect weeknight meal when you need something easy, healthy, and delicious.
- This attractive Squash Quinoa Bake is a hearty, seasonal recipe that is good used as a side dish or as a main course. Guests will be impressed by this dish and you don’t need to share with them how easy it is to make!
- Easy cheesy Chicken and Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers get a phenomenal flavor burst from a combination of onions, garlic, and lower sodium cream of mushroom soup. Simple to make and packed with protein, fiber, and vegetables.
- Healthy Quinoa Casserole with Spinach and Artichokes is a great addition to your holiday menu. This lightened up version tastes divine and is full of good for you ingredients!
- Tex-Mex Quinoa Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette has a southwestern flair that will spice up the dinner table. Ready in 30 minutes, and simple to make ahead of time, this is a great side dish for weeknight dinner.
We hope you love these healthy quinoa recipes as much as we do and that you’ll enjoy reaping the health benefits of this superfood daily. If you love these recipes, try our other quinoa recipes for more variety. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!