If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner, turn to your cast iron skillet for this 30-minute meal. This Broccoli Tater Tot Skillet Casserole uses turkey sausage, cheesy broccoli, tater tots, and tomatoes for a one-pan meal that has it all.
As a mom, I am always trying to sneak veggies into all of my toddler’s favorite foods. One of them is potato puffs, or tater tots. He just loves them. Eats them with ketchup or ranch all the time, it’s his number one request at meal time. I thought I would create a dish with some veggies and protein to give him some added nutrients into a cast iron skillet recipe.
Current Obsession: My Cast Iron Skillet
One of my current kitchen obsessions is cooking with a cast iron skillet. It holds heat really well and I love the searing effect it has, giving foods an extra crunch. I have been cooking everything in it from chicken to egg dishes, everything turns out great.
Since I wanted to create something with tater tots, I thought I would use the cast iron skillet. This recipe is great because you can use up what you have on hand right now. Don’t need to make anything too complicated, especially with little ones at home. Potato puffs, eggs, turkey sausage, broccoli and top with cheese and tomatoes! Everything fit nicely in the cast iron skillet and was ready in under 30 minutes.
- 1 bag potato puffs (tater tots)
- 4 eggs
- 1 bag frozen broccoli
- 6 cooked turkey sausage links, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 375ºF.
- Spray iron skillet with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook turkey sausage links according to directions on the package. Then cut in half.
- in a small mixing bowl, add eggs, seasonings, sausage links, and tomatoes.
- Add first layer of potato puffs into iron skillet.
- Add second layer of broccoli into iron skillet.
- Pour egg mixture on top of broccoli and potato puffs.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle green onion.
Home Chef Tip: If your child doesn't like whole broccoli, cut it into tiny pieces to use in the casserole.
- Not only is this a great brunch or easy dinner idea, this would be great to meal prep as well. You can replace the tater tots with potatoes for a lighter version.
- Instead of broccoli, other veggies like zucchini would be a great alternative.
- If your toddler doesn’t like whole broccoli, dice it up really small.
- Reduced fat cheddar cheese would work for a lighter version.
- If you used this for meal prep and needed portion control, use muffin tins for individual portions.
- Avocado would be a great addition after baking.
We hope you enjoy this Cheesy Broccoli Tater Tot Skillet Casserole from SoFabFood Home Chef, Christine from The Chicago Good Life, as much as we do. If you love this simple recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our 30-Minute Meals Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!