These lower carb Loaded Mediterranean Veggie Tots use cauliflower tots instead of potato tots. A 20-minute vegetarian dish covered in feta, herbs, roasted chickpeas, and creamy tzatziki using frozen veggie tots!
Tater tots are a beloved childhood side dish that I have carried with me right into adulthood. Oily, crisp potato puffs that take zero effort. What’s not to love, right? But there is a downside to eating tater tots on the regular. They aren’t what the USDA would consider “health food” because they are mostly simple carbohydrates, fats, and (if you’re like me and count) 40% salt.
But now there’s a better option! The Veggie Tot.
Aren’t All Tots Veggie Tots?
Yes and no. Though your typical potato tot is technically made of vegetables, we know that eating cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli have unique health benefits and contain complex carbohydrates.
You can find frozen veggie tots at most local grocery stores and they look (and taste) just like their potato doppelganger! Just make sure to check the ingredient list for any unnecessary additives. If you can’t find what you are looking for, feel free to make your own.
A 2o-minute vegetarian dish loaded with the good stuff!
I am in love with any food that has a Mediterranean flare and these tots are no exception. There’s a layer of creamy and bright tzatziki that comes together with a few simple ingredients that you probably have hanging out in your kitchen already!
Simply grate a small section of peeled cucumber and mix it with a good portion of Greek yogurt. Then add chopped parsley, dry or fresh dill, minced garlic, and olive oil.
Ta-da! Even MORE hidden veggies.
It’s so simple to hide all of the good-for-you stuff when it’s covered in a layer of feta, herbs, roasted chickpeas, and creamy tzatziki! Plus, it’s so simple, you’ll want to add this to your weekly dinner rotation.
Feel free to mix up the toppings like adding salty kalamata olives, marinated artichoke hearts, or even hot sauce if that’s your thing. Honestly, it’s all delicious and completely plant-based which means it’s great for your vegetarian diners, too!
- 1 package Frozen Cauliflower or Broccoli Veggie Tots
- 1 cup Canned Chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1- 2 inch section of Cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Dried Dill
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Crumbled Feta
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400ºF and line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- Arrange the chickpeas and frozen tots on the baking sheet. Season the chickpeas with olive oil and salt if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking the tots frequently.
- Make the tzatziki by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble.
- Layer the veggie tots with the roasted chickpeas, tzatziki, parsley, and sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta and serve!
Home Chef's Tip: Make the tzatziki ahead of time or use store bought for an even quicker weeknight meal!
We hope you love these Loaded Mediterranean Veggie Tots from SoFabFood Home Chef, Liz from Inspector Gorgeous, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this healthier classic, be sure to stop by our vegetarian section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!