This authentic Coconut Milk Cauliflower Indian Dhal is a powerhouse of nutrients with a host of vegetables and Indian spices that can be ready in about 30 minutes with only one pan!
I am very excited about bringing the SoFabFood readers this recipe for an amazing classic Indian Dhal with Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Lentils, and Coconut Milk. On my blog, Innocent Delight, I share recipes with a Mediterranean and European flair. I do mix in some recipes with a healthier twist here and there; for example using coconut milk which is not widely used across Europe and the Mediterranean. I think you’ll agree, sometimes a little healthy twist can really enhance a classic recipe.
Admittedly, I do not share Indian recipes on my blog, even though I do love to cook and eat them. This Coconut Milk Cauliflower Indian Dhal is absolutely fantastic! I make it often and my family really loves the variety. This dish was my inspiration to make a soup, which while it isn’t Indian, it does contain tomatoes, red lentils, and coconut milk. It is by far the most popular soup recipe on my blog: Tomatoes Red Lentils Coconut Soup. It was featured in a number of big online magazines including The Country Living and ELLE Décor. It is really spectacular.
Coconut Milk Cauliflower Indian Dhal Recipe
Now you can try the original dish that inspired this soup. You’ll need:
- Indian spices (turmeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon)
- Creamy red lentils
- Crunchy cauliflower
- Coconut milk
This Indian Dhal with Cauliflower, Tomatoes, and Coconut Milk is a real powerhouse of nutrients. Isn’t it? From lentils, to turmeric, through to cauliflower and coconut milk….as I talk about it, I’m really developing the need to get another bowl. Before serving, I encourage you to sprinkle it all with some lemon juice to amplify the flavors even more. Go ahead and add some parsley or cilantro and you’ll really feel like you did something pretty good for yourself. It is not only healthy, but super delicious too!
You would think that a “healthy meal” is not necessarily the most tasty, but that’s not the case with this classic Indian Dhal with a twist. It just bursts with flavor!
I served it over basmati rice, but it can also be served with naan or chapatti to soak up the amazing sauce. Make it anytime you crave some healthy food, when you want a vegan meal, or simply when you feel like eating Indian cuisine. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 2 medium sized carrots, chopped
- ½ head of cauliflower, cut in florets
- 1 14-oz can of chopped tomatoes with juices
- 1 ½ cups of red, split lentils
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon of salt
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or cilantro
- In a large sauce pan, heat up the coconut oil, add onions and cook for about 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add carrots and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and spices; then let cook for minute or two.
- Add lentils and mix well, then cover with spice mixture.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower florets, broth, and coconut milk.
- Add salt, then cover and cook for about 25 minutes until lentils are soft and vegetables are cooked through.
- Squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Serve over a bed of rice or with Indian naan bread.
Home Chef Tip: If you don't care to make this dish dairy free, you can use full fat cow's milk in place of the coconut milk.
We hope you enjoy this Coconut Milk Cauliflower Indian Dhal recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Edyta from Innocent Delight, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our One-Pot Meals section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!