This easy grilled pizza recipe takes just 15 minutes to cook. Whether you decide to grill a Caprese Pizza or a meatier variety, grilled pizza takes outdoor grilling to a new level. The homemade pizza dough really makes the meal!
Jessica here from Carefree Mermaid – Travels & Culinary Tales. Today I’m stepping out of my kitchen and soaking up the sun while I make dinner on the grill! This Easy Grilled Pizza is perfect for dinner or an appetizer. It’s made with homemade dough, and grilled for extra flavor, then it’s topped with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Cooking pizza on the grill takes less than fifteen minutes and it’s perfect for warmer weather. This pizza channels its inner Caprese! To make it, you will need: pizza dough, tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella, and pizza sauce. I’m making a homemade dough, which is really easy to do.
How to make homemade pizza dough:
To start making your easy grilled pizza, first you’ll want to make your dough.
In a large bowl, dissolve your yeast in to warm water. Let it sit for about ten minutes or until frothy. Next, mix in your flour, sugar, salt, and olive oil. Mix until dough starts to separate from the bowl. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth (about 5 minutes). Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a damp kitchen towel. Set it aside to rise (about an hour). Once your dough has doubled in size, it is ready to cook!
Time to make your grilled Caprese pizza!
Prepare all of your toppings so that they’re ready to go. Slice your tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella. Dice up your basil. Get your pizza sauce handy and set everything aside.
Heat your grill to a high temperature.
Pour a generous amount of olive oil on a baking sheet. Use this to transport the pizza dough to the grill. Take your dough and separate it into two small sized pizzas right on the baking sheet.
Brush your grill grate with olive oil. Place pizza dough on grill, one at a time.
It should begin to puff. After about four minutes, the bottom should’ve started to brown. Brush the top side of the dough with more olive oil. Flip the pizza dough over using two spatulas.
Add your sauce, mozzarella, and tomatoes. Close the lid and cook for about five minutes. The underside should be browned and cheese should be melted. Remove from the grill and top it with the basil!
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 packages Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 6-8 slices of tomatoes
- About 10 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 2 tbsp Basil (chopped)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- Dissolve yeast in to warm water. Let sit for about ten minutes or until frothy.
- Mix in flour, sugar, salt, and olive oil. Mix until dough starts to separate from the bowl.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and place the dough in a greased bowl.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel. Set aside to rise. Once doubled in size (usually about an hour), separate in to two smaller pizzas.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Oil dough well, and brush grill with olive oil.
- Place pizzas on grill one at a time. Brush top side of dough with olive oil. After about 4 minutes underside should be browned.
- Flip dough over using two spatulas. Top pizza with sauce, cheese, and tomatoes. Shut grill and cook until cheese is melted and bottom is browned.
- Remove from grill and top with basil!
Home Chef Tip: Short on time? The homemade dough takes less than ten minutes to whip up, but it does take about an hour to rise. You can easily substitute a store bought dough if you're short on time, just follow the rest of the recipe as it goes!
How will you top your grilled pizza?
You can make grilled pizzas in any variation that you’d like. From Bbq Pizza to Greek Pizza; using Low Calorie Dough to a Gluten Free Crust…the pizza possibilities are endless! Grilling the pizza brings out flavors that you just can’t accomplish in the oven.
Love this recipe? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy this Grilled Caprese Pizza recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Jessica from Carefree Mermaid. If you love this easy dinner idea, be sure to visit our Pizza Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!