Make lunchtime fun again with this refreshing Rainbow Pepper Spiralized Salad. Fresh cucumbers, rainbow peppers, and red onion are all spiralized and drizzled with apple cider vinaigrette or creamy dill!
My parents love to garden and their vegetable gardens are amazing each year. Alongside the tomatoes, the first cucumbers of the season are something we look forward to. This year, my dad was particularly proud of his cucumbers. When the first ones were ready for harvesting, he wouldn’t let anyone else pick them. He didn’t trust us and was convinced that we would damage the delicate vines!
There were so many this year, that we’ve literally been eating them every day. Fortunately, one of our family favorite dishes is a simple mixed salad with cucumbers, onions, and peppers tossed with a light vinaigrette dressing. You can learn how to make your own apple cider vinegar as we do each fall. It’s quite simple to make and tastes delicious. Use it in your salads, to make a detox tea, and even to wash your hair with!
Rainbow Pepper Spiralized Salad with Cucumbers
To change things up and use all those cucumbers in a different way, we’ve given our family favorite salad recipe a twist! We’re happy to share with you this simple spiralized cucumber salad with red onions and a rainbow of sweet peppers. Moreover, you can top this pretty salad with a dressing of the eater’s choice; a simple Apple Cider Vinaigrette or a Light Creamy Dill Dressing. This is a great option if you are entertaining friends, or going to a potluck, as guests can use the dressing they prefer.
- 2 English or 4 small field cucumbers
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small yellow and 1 small purple or orange sweet pepper
- ½ cup light (1%, fat free) sour cream
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill weed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Thoroughly wash the vegetables by scrubbing to remove any dirt, then spiralize them, or slice thinly with a knife.
- Layer the cucumbers on the bottom, then the peppers, and finally the onion in a large serving bowl or divided evenly among four plates.
- Prepare the creamy dill dressing by gently stirring together all of the ingredients.
- Prepare the apple cider vinaigrette by whisking together the ingredients in small bowl.
- Pour the dressings into separate serving containers and serve on the side.
Home Chef Tip: If you are making this salad ahead of time, consider removing some of the water from the cucumber after spiralizing. Simply sprinkle it with a bit of salt, then let the spiralized cucumber strain in a collander for about 15 minutes. Then lay the cucumber onto a paper towel and pat dry.
We’re having so much fun spiralizing our veggies – all of the zucchini is next! If you are looking for a new recipe idea for your zucchini, try our Easy Zucchini Cake with Berries.
Like it? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy this delicious Rainbow Pepper Spiralized Salad from SoFabFood Home Chef, Jane from Sustain My Craft Habit, as much as we do. If you love this healthy lunch or dinner option, you can find more like it by checking out our other Salad recipes. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!