Packed with flavor and full of protein, this heart-healthy Shrimp Gumbo with Sausage and Chicken is a hearty meal the whole family will love. This slow cooker, one-pot meal is perfect for busy weeknights.
This slow cooker Shrimp Gumbo with Sausage and Chicken is a hearty, one-pot meal that’s lower in sodium than traditional recipes and perfect for busy weeknights. After you prepare the roux, which you can do the day before, the rest of the work is done by your slow cooker during the day without any fuss.
Shrimp Gumbo with Sausage and Chicken Recipe
The chicken and sausage cook up slowly throughout the day in a host of spices and ingredients, then 30 minutes before serving, you add in the rice and shrimp for a full meal that will delight your tastebuds.
The three meats take in the amazing spice combination adding a new dimension that’s nothing short of addictive. We know you’re going to love this recipe as much as we do!
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb raw, shelled and deveined shrimp
- 1 lb raw chicken breast, cut into 1-2" cubes
- 1-12 oz pkg turkey sausage, sliced
- 1-10 oz can Ro*tel® No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes and Chilies, undrained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the flour and oil until paste consistency. Simmer over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the roux is a dark, reddish-brown roux. Cool.
- Pour the water into a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Stir in prepared, cooled roux.
- Add sausage, chicken, diced tomatoes and chilies, onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic.
- Cover and simmer on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add in the rice and shrimp and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
Home Chef Tip: To speed up the preparation in the morning before heading out for the day, prepare the roux the night before and store it, covered, in the refrigerator overnight.
We hope you love this Shrimp Gumbo with Sausage and Chicken recipe as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to visit our Slow Cooker section for more easy weeknight meal ideas. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!