Introducing your new favorite tailgating party food…Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Sausage Bites! A savory-sweet 5-ingredient appetizer with bold flavors. This small bites, easy appetizer will be the talk of the party!
‘Tis the season for tailgating!
While I enjoy watching a good football game, it’s really about the food for me! While some foods require forks, plates, and napkins, I much prefer the tailgating finger foods! One bite is all it takes and you’re ready for the next appetizer!
I went to college in Wisconsin in a big football town and we loved our tailgating…especially our tailgating party foods! These sweet and spicy Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Sausage Bites were a favorite among my friends. The best part is all you need is a few quick ingredients to make this tasty gluten-free and dairy-free appetizer.
Everyone knows how hard it is to eat with forks and knives at a tailgate, so easy small bites like these are the best! However, these bacon-wrapped chicken sausage bites are served with a toothpick so your hands stay clean.
You’ll love the flavor of this 5-ingredient appetizer. All you need is bacon, your favorite chicken sausage, brown sugar, ground mustard, and cayenne pepper. The brown sugar mustard combo gives these bites a sweet and savory flavor with a little kick from the cayenne pepper.
If you like sweet and spicy, this easy appetizer is for you. There is nothing better than crispy bacon wrapped around a juicy chicken sausage. Perfect tailgating food!
Tips and Tricks for this simple tailgating party food:
- Use regular bacon as opposed to thick-cut bacon. If you use thick-cut, your bacon won’t get as crispy and will stay chewy, which isn’t what we’re going for here.
- You can really use any type of mustard that you want, but I love using stone-ground mustard. It has a delicious coarse texture and usually a bit of a kick. Honey mustard would also be great!
- I used a gluten-free chicken sausage for this recipe, but regular hotdogs or pork sausages also work.
- If you don’t have a wire rack, you can still make these small bites by placing them on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. You’ll want to make sure you turn them on both sides to get the bacon crispy. They may take a bit longer.
- 1 lb bacon (not thick-cut)
- 1 lb (4 links) chicken sausage
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp stone-ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with a wire baking/cooling rack. Spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut each piece of bacon in half. Cut the chicken sausage links into 1-inch pieces, about the width of your bacon.
- Wrap half piece of bacon around each piece of chicken sausage and insert toothpick to hold it together. Repeat with remaining bacon and chicken sausage. Place each bacon-wrapped chicken sausage on the wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, stone-ground mustard, and cayenne pepper. Mix together until a paste forms.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of brown sugar mustard sauce on each bacon chicken sausage bite. Reserve the other half of sauce for later.
- Bake at 375ºF for 35-40 minutes, flipping half way through and covering bites with the remaining sauce. Bake until bacon is crispy. Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: For a sweeter variety, substitute honey mustard for the stone-ground mustard.
We hope you love these Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Sausage Bites from SoFabFood Home Chef, Megan from A Dash of Megnut, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this easy tailgating party food, you can find more like it by visiting our Appetizer Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!