Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus blends the flavors of asparagus, bacon, and parmesan in an easy grilled appetizer or side dish.
Ah, asparagus. For us, it’s as much of a summer staple ingredient as August corn or soft-serve ice cream. We bought our grill last fall, and this is our first summer using it. Since we live in western Massachusetts, which is an area with a large emphasis on locally grown produce, we have embraced the local message. Here in Northampton, we reap the benefits of the town next door – Hadley – the Asparagus Capital of the World. There are more than 200 acres of Hadley farmland devoted to growing asparagus, or as they call it – “Hadley Grass.”
How do you enjoy your asparagus?
You can eat it steamed, roasted, sautéed, and even raw, but we love ours grilled with a little Parmesan and olive oil, and maybe even finely grated Monterey Jack.
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Our Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus recipe requires a little bit of prep, and only a little bit of cooking. Once you get the hang of wrapping the raw bacon around the asparagus, each one gets easier. And once you get the hang of the delicate balance of knowing how to cook the bacon through, without letting the asparagus burn, it works perfectly.
- 1-2 packages bacon
- 1 bunch asparagus
- Parmesan or Monterey Jack cheese, finely grated
- Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Place asparagus on a sheet of waxed paper and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle asparagus with pepper and turn it around to coat the other side.
- Cut the bacon in half - and aim to cut as much of the fatty part off as possible. The fatty pieces of bacon don't cook as fast.
- Wrap your non-fatty bacon piece around and around a stalk of asparagus.
- Secure both ends with small toothpicks, be careful not to knock the head of the asparagus off with toothpick placement!
- Grill uncovered over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side, until the bacon is cooked through and crisp.
- Sprinkle with cheese at the end.
Home Chef Tip: Cut the bacon in half with a sharp knife or scissors - and aim to cut as much of the fatty part off as possible, choosing to wrap the asparagus with the non-fatty parts. The fatty pieces of bacon don't cook as fast, and since asparagus cooks faster than bacon to begin with, you want the cooking to be as even as possible.
The Parmesan topping adds so much flavor!
The Parmesan cheese is optional, of course, but I love the flavor it adds. With the tender asparagus and crisp bacon, this is soon to be a crowd or party favorite. I consider it to be filled with the flavors of summer, and I know I will still be dreaming of it long after summer has ended.
We hope you love this recipe for Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus from SoFabFood Home Chef, Tamara from Tamara (Like) Camera, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this grilled appetizer recipe, be sure to stop by our appetizer section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!