Have a nasty head cold? Grab for a nice, hot bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. It really does help! You need to know the real health benefits of chicken noodle soup before you start getting sick.
If you’re feeling a little under the weather thinking that first nasty head cold of the season is upon you, reach for a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Make it homemade and it is even better for you! If you don’t have time for homemade, head to the grocery store and reach for a low sodium brand.
The Real Health Benefits Of Chicken Noodle Soup
- According to Dr. Keri Peterson, “All liquid broth soups will speed up the movement of mucous in your nose simply because it’s a hot fluid and that causes dilation of blood vessels which causes increased blood flow and allows the mucous to flush everything out. And that will help alleviate congestion.”
- Some researchers believe that substances in chicken soup reduce the inflammation associated with a cold.
- Boil your chicken bones to make a healthy chicken bone broth. Bone broths contain the minerals of bones, cartilage, marrow, and vegetables as electrolytes, which is a form the body can easily absorb in the gut.
Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 1 3-lb whole chicken
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bag extra wide egg noodles
- Boil your chicken until it is just about falling off the bone.
- Pull chicken out of water and pull meat off of the bones.
- Set aside.
- Put bones back into water and simmer for 3 to 4 hours.
- Strain broth, toss the bones.
- Put broth back into pot and add chicken, frozen vegetables, celery, and egg noodles.
- Bring back up to a boil, reduce heat to a light boil to cook noodles.
- Keep on low and drink and eat all day.
Home Chef Tip: Not up to creating your own chicken bone broth? Buy low sodium chicken broth and canned white chicken breast. Just substitute those two ingredients for the water and chicken, then add the vegetables and noodles, and follow the recipe instructions from there.
We hope you find this information about the Health Benefits Of Chicken Noodle Soup helpful and we hope you enjoy the recipe. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Healthy Food Tips section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research and personal experience.