Black Pepper Cumin Chicken Soup is a healthy comfort food and natural cold remedy. Black pepper, cumin, garlic, coriander, and turmeric add flavor and boost immunity. Cooked with a whole chicken to add the health benefits of bone broth to this slow cooker soup.
Is this soup really a natural cold remedy?
This Black Pepper Cumin Chicken Soup is light, flavorful, aromatic, and gets you to eat more when your tastebuds are dull. A hearty bowl of this chicken soup clears nasal congestion by thinning out the mucus. I adapted this recipe from my grandmother. Pounding the whole pepper, cumin, and garlic using a mortar and pestle gives a nice authentic taste to the soup.
Spices such as pepper, cumin, garlic, coriander, and turmeric not only add flavor to the soup, but also boost immunity. Traditionally, this soup is served with soft boiled/steamed white rice that stays light and gentle in the stomach and the rice balances out the heat from the spices.
My son loves to eat this soup with mashed white rice. It is our family’s favorite chicken soup so I make it often in the winter season. It can be easily made in the Instant Pot, slow cooker, or pressure cooker.
Pressure cooking and slow cooking this soup are my favorite methods. Cooking the whole chicken until tender gives this soup the added health benefits of bone broth.
Why use the whole chicken in this recipe?
Using chicken with bones makes a flavorful and healthy soup. I remove the skin before cutting the chicken into small pieces. The soup made with the whole chicken is highly nutritious and helps in relieving body and joint pain. The minerals in the chicken bones help in relaxing the muscles and promoting better sleep.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 tbsp Whole Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 4 Tomato, medium
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder, or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Skin the whole chicken and cut into pieces. Pound the black pepper, cumin, and garlic coarsely using a mortar and pestle.
- In a deep sauce pan, heat oil, add minced black pepper mixture and sauté for 20 - 30 seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and cook for a minute. Sprinkle a small amount of water if needed to avoid the spices getting burned.
- Add chopped chicken, salt, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes. Add 9 - 10 cups of water or until the chicken pieces are covered completely with water.
- Cover the sauce pan with a tight light lid and cook on a low - medium heat for a couple of hours or until the chicken becomes tender. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Home Chef Tip: I would recommend to cook this soup in a pressure cooker to save time and energy. Also, the pressure cooking method yields tender chicken that falls off the bone.
Love this healthy comfort food? Pin it for later!
We hope you enjoy this Black Pepper Cumin Chicken Soup recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Antonet from Anto’s Kitchen. If you love this healthy comfort food, you can find more like it by visiting our Soup Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy