A total show stopper for happy hour, this Galaxy Cocktail has an all-natural indigo color from Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea. This color changing cocktail transforms from blue to purple to pink when you add citrus juice. A beautiful vodka-based cocktail that tastes as good as it looks!
Impress guests with this color changing cocktail!
Want to impress your friends and family with a vodka-based cocktail that changes color before your eyes? This Galaxy Cocktail is a dynamic drink that starts out with separate layers of clear and indigo blue, with red pomegranate seeds floating in between and on top. It’s garnished with a fragrant sprig of rosemary and sparkling sugar on the rim. When any citrus juice (lemon, lime, or both) is added, it turns to purple and then to pink! Wow!
You will need food grade, edible Blue Butterfly Pea Flowers to make the simple syrup for this recipe and they are readily available online (Amazon.com). Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea is very similar to Hibiscus tea. These flowers are also a great source of antioxidants.
I can see this Galaxy Cocktail being served at a New Year’s Eve Party because it looks so festive, but it can be served at any gathering.
The rosemary sprig adds a nice fragrant scent to the cocktail.
Helpful Kitchen Tools for this Galaxy Cocktail:
- spoon for stirring
- wet measure
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- ice cube trays
- honey dipper
You can drizzle honey (wildflower) over the top of the cocktail and it adds some nice sweetness.
That moment when the citrus is squeezed into the cocktail is when you will start to see the color change and it’s magical (and tasty).
You can add lemon and lime slices to the glass to add a little more citrus flavor and flair.
If you try this Galaxy Cocktail, let us know in the comments below!
- 1 cup water
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
- 3 tbsp food-grade, edible Blue Butterfly Pea Flowers
- 1-2 shots vodka (1.5 ounce each)
- 2-3 tbsp Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Simple Syrup, amount to taste
- Splash of club soda or seltzer water, amount to taste
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary
- Pomegranate seeds
- Lemon and lime wedges for squeezing
- Lime and lemon slices
- Sparkling sugar (or any coarse raw sugar)
- Brew 1 cup of Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea with 3 tablespoons food-grade, edible Blue Butterfly Pea Flowers, and boiling water.
- Add 1 cup granulated white sugar.
- Build the cocktail up with your chilled glass filled with ice cubes. Add the simple syrup, then the vodka, and then finish with the club soda.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds, place the rosemary sprig and straws for serving. Drizzle honey over the top and sprinkle sparkling sugar.
- When you want to change the color from blue to purple-pink, add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice (or both) and stir. Enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: 1) Use a honey dipper to get a perfect drizzle. 2) Chill the glass in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before making the cocktail which helps keep the recipe cold. 3) You can store any remaining simple syrup in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.
Love this happy hour cocktail? Pin it for later!
We hope you love this Galaxy Cocktail from SoFabFood Home Chef, Sara from Life’s Little Sweets. If you enjoyed this refreshing happy hour drink, be sure to find more like it in our Cocktails Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: The cocktail option within this recipe is intended for our readers 21+ only. Please drink responsibly!