Don’t skip dessert! Make this no refined sugar treat instead. These Avocado Pomegranate Brownies get their flavor and creaminess from all-natural ingredients. This low-sugar dessert is the healthier dessert option you’ve been looking for!
Make better food choices with this healthier dessert!
I generally like to make good food choices when it comes to my meals, snacks, and definitely my desserts. I love my sweets, but my waistline doesn’t seem to love them as much as I do. When I’m craving something chocolate-y, creamy, and decadent, I turn to these Avocado Pomegranate Brownies to get my fix.
Don’t tell them they’re Avocado Brownies!
These healthier than traditional brownies are just as tasty, but they’re kinder to your waistline. While you indulge on these avocado brownies, you get the added health benefits of avocados and pomegranate seeds, but no one even has to know. They’re just that good!
Fudgy, Chewy, or Cake Like, it’s your choice!
You can make these avocado brownies extra fudgy with the ingredients of avocado, applesauce or banana, and syrup. You also have the choice to make them more cake-like, depending on your preferences. It’s all in the baking!
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs - I used large
- 1/2 cup flour (coconut flour is a good choice)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened (dutch-processed) cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a food processor or blender, mix avocado, banana (or applesauce), maple syrup, and vanilla - you can also mash by hand, but get clumps out.
- Put ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add eggs, flour, cocoa powder, pomegranate seeds, chocolate chunks, salt, and baking soda.
- Combine ingredients well and then pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chunks and pomegranate seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes for fudgy brownies and bake a little longer for cake-like brownies.
Home Chef Tips: Use dutch-processed cocoa for your unsweetened cocoa to avoid bitter-tasting brownies. Also, sprinkle your remaining chocolate chunks and pomegranate seeds on top of the brownie batter for a wonderful finish.
I’m always a sucker for a good brownie recipe, but there’s something about making them with better-for-you ingredients. I first discovered a love for avocados when I lived in California, and they were made in everything. Back in New Jersey, I had never discovered the beauty and power of using them in both savory and sweet dishes. Now I can’t imagine baking without this wonderful fat.
Love this low-sugar dessert recipe? Pin it for later!
We hope you love these Avocado Pomegranate Brownies from SoFabFood Home Chef, Tamara from Tamara (Like) Camera, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this no refined sugar treat, be sure to stop by our desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!